New babies

• 7 Replies

mumsy

New babies
« on: September 24, 2010, 22:52 »
Hello everyone

My 3 month old babies will NOT go to bed, either in the big coop or their own coop!!! Every night I have to lift them off the fence & put them in.  Never had this problem before....any ideas anyone????

rachelr

Re: New babies
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 04:42 »
redmites these keep mine out of their coop regularly

mumsy

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 10:06 »
Hi
No, its def not red mite!!  I have had them every year for 3 years & the coops get treated & inspected regularly!! As I am paranoid!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:10 »
try putting a torch inside so they can see there is nothing scary in there or even try bribery with mealworms.
I went out this morning and had a head count of my tree dwellers before opening my coops up and found 11 hens/cockerels and 3 guinea fowl all wandering around quite happily including one hen who is broody and sitting on eggs down the side of the beck - I don't know what eggs she is on (cant find the nest) but she has been on them for 5 or 6 weeks now  ::) :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

mumsy

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 13:46 »
Hi Joy

You may laugh but the coop has a light!!! We had to put one in there as it was so dark the silly girls couldn't see the perches!!!! Now, I turn it on when they have their corn & turn it off when I shut them up!!  If it doesn't get turned on, they sleep on the floor!!!!!!!!  & if I forget to turn it off, they have a hen night!!!!!

I have just finished making more perches for the coop & will pop the babies in tonight although I have tried that method already with no luck!!!  Now there is more room, I'm hopeful!!

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 15:44 »
I've had this problem before and the only way I was able to stop it was to get to them before they started to roost in the inaproiate place. I just hassled them each time they attemted to roost in the wrong place until eventually they went in the hen house. I had to do this over quite a time but eventully cracked the problem Good luck ::)

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 20:14 »
I have 8 tree roosters who steadfastly refuse to go into a coop... TBH I just let them be, they are now up to 30 feet high, and if the cats cant get up there, I don't think a fox would... I dunno what they'll do once they come into lay though!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 22:58 »
When winter came last year and the trees lost their leaves my tree dwellers all returned to their coops except Claudette and she just moved from the apple tree into the evergreen laurels  :). Claudette is the one who is sat on the eggs down the beck at the moment - she only returns home to feed in the mornings  :)

xx
I have babies

Started by jaxchucks on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2011, 11:06
by jaxchucks
xx
My babies (with pics)

Started by scabs on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 16:54
by scabs
xx
Putting my new babies to bed.

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2011, 20:47
by bantam novice
xx
Patrick Babies on the way! They're here!!!

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Chicken Chat

99 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 23:47
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 40 queries.