A greenhouse in name

• 8 Replies

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
A greenhouse in name
« on: April 28, 2007, 17:57 »
Our new house bumf said “numerous outbuildings” and yes there are but they are in a state. One the greenhouse, loosely speaking has been left for years and the roof and glass broken and dilapidated but I wanted to get stuff growing for our first year with a view to making better provision next.  The previous owners had left masses of rubbish behind but it as saved us money in the long run as there are many items we have been able to recycle.
I found under brambles a pile of old quarry tiles which made a good hard-standing for the pots, some old scaffold planks made a walkway and my partners ( poor long suffering OH) Photographic developing trays made gravel trays for the bench.  I also uncovered 3 railway sleepers which will be the basis of a raised bed later.
In my eagerness to get started I planted stuff way to early but I will (hopefully) have some good early produce in the way of salad potatoes, broad beans, peas and runners.  I hope a later crop will follow outside if I can ever get the ground dug well enough to plant up. The greenhouse items are already doing so well and look very promising.
I have put some pics of my efforts here, not Ideal Home but its working for now.
Thanks for reading this
Sandra
x

agapanthus

A greenhouse in name
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 19:39 »
Looks very good  to me!!! You've done really well finding all those goodies.
Finger xed for a bumper crop :tongue2:

leeky

A greenhouse in name
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 19:43 »
love it. i could live in there no problem. especially when its raining at night. aaah heaven!    :D

slowef

Heaven
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 19:50 »
Quote from: "leeky"
love it. i could live in there no problem. especially when its raining at night. aaah heaven!    :D

Yes there is something about a greenhouse on a cold day, pottering in the warm with the earth between your fingers, Mother Nature a wonderful thing.  Getting your hands clean is the down side I now have workers hands that always seem grubby :-(

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
A greenhouse in name
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 21:26 »
Very Nice full of charm and character.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

slowef

A greenhouse in name
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 21:29 »
thank you feel better about it now thought it was a bit scruffy but I guess if it does the jobs thats all that counts
I guess I wanted one of those pristine wooden jobs like you see at Wisley LOL not a hope :-(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
A greenhouse in name
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 21:35 »
We just have to make the most of what we've got sometimes slowef.  Look at some of the allotments, there are really neat and tidy ones and some look like stepto's yard.  Our garden doesn't look as neat and tidy as next doors, but all they grow is flowers and trees and they stand out there watering their lawn.

When Armaggedon comes, guess who'll starve first????   :lol:  :lol:

Well, as long as armaggedon doesn't happen too close to us, or we won't be here to worry about it anyway!!!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
A greenhouse in name
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 21:35 »
Mines one of them pristine things, well it probably was 40 yrs ago ! it aint now it lovely with character but if you slam the door something falls off !

slowef

A greenhouse in name
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 21:45 »
I guess we bought this place because it was as close to a rural smallholding as we would get.  Our neighbours have the pristine garden and its lovely but who would be able to let chickens loose in that wthout a mile of wire netting, guess we will stick to our shabby chic plot

:-)

xx
Greenhouse

Started by ANGEL_S on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 05:55
by paintedlady
xx
Greenhouse

Started by Tykelad on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 17:19
by kermit
xx
greenhouse to hot ??

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 22:43
by withnail
xx
yay new greenhouse

Started by freyaluck on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post December 31, 2006, 18:56
by freyaluck

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 34 queries.