poorly hen.....HELP!

• 11 Replies

lucylessimore

poorly hen.....HELP!
« on: October 02, 2008, 21:02 »
Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me advice???!!!I have 4 hens, when checking on them the other day I noticed that one had her wing draging on the floor, she has also been hen-pecked and has lost alot of her back feathers due to this....I have taped her wing with masking tape in the hope that it may be a torn ligament or tendon and not a break, and I have bathed her wounds and put Savalon on....which seems to have worked.I tried separating them with the 2 bossy hens together and the two others together, but I'm afraid my barrier was not enough and the bossy boots just got over the top.Any advice would be gratefully recieved....to have to kill primrose would be awful, she's such a darling!
Thanks! :cry:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
poorly hen.....HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 22:43 »
Hi Lucy, did you tape the wing to her body?  I think that is what Muntjac advised some time ago.  

Other than that, I don't  really know as I've neer had that rpoblem with any of my girls!

Hope she'll be okay!

lucylessimore

poorly hen.....HELP!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 07:41 »
Yeah, I did strap it to her body.......no, I don't know what else to do either!I think I'll just have to see how she gets on.Thanks for the reply! :wink:

agapanthus

poorly hen.....HELP!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 09:35 »
It would probably best to separate her from the others for a while....just to let her heal a bit...if that's possible.  :)

lucylessimore

poorly hen.....HELP!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 10:53 »
Yeah.....I think so too, but will have to try and get my hands on another coop before I can do this, she's very sad at the mo, just sits on her own!I shall work on this!Thankyou so much!! :lol:

Vember

poorly hen.....HELP!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 10:58 »
Hi Lucy

anything would be better than her getting pecked at etc...
I have a couple of rabbit hutches I use if I need to seperate in a hurry, works well as a temporary fix.
Or even a cat carrier would be ok so long as she had food & water in there, just to get her away from the bullies :D

Sarah

lucylessimore

poorly hen.....HELP!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 11:24 »
Thanks so much for the advice!I'm on it,  I'll let you know! :lol:

lucylessimore

poorly hen.....HELP!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 13:47 »
I am struggling to find a rabbit hutch, but have a canvas dog kennel, I could put her in here during the day, but to be safe from the fox she would have to sleep with the others.Do you think this would work???

Vember

poorly hen.....HELP!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 14:51 »
Could you put her in the kennel in the coop at night to make sure they don't have a go at her first thing??

Sarah :)

lucylessimore

poorly hen.....HELP!
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 10:30 »
Things are still bad with Primrose, so I have zipped her up in the canvas kennel, she has been so pecked, she has even given up resisting.The dog kennel is so big it won't fit in the coup at night, so I may have to bring her into the conservatory!Do you think this will disturd her too much being brought into the house?I feel so bad I can't do anything else to help her.I have retaped her wing, cleaned her wounds and put savalon on!I'll see what happens, but she is still eating and drinking ok.
  :(

Vember

poorly hen.....HELP!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 10:36 »
If it was my hen she'd be indoors, having said that I am a tad excentric and have had a goose living in the house before now  :shock:  
Others might not agree it's best, but I would fetch her in :D

The only problems you might/will have is reintroducing her when the time comes you will have to put her in a seperate run next to the others so that they can see each other and not attack each other :)

Also she might get too used to the warmth in the conservatory :?

Where abouts do you live Lucy, if it's anywhere near me I'd glsdly lend you a rabbit hutch for her :)

Sarah :)

lucylessimore

poorly hen.....HELP!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 10:41 »
You are soooooo helpful, thanks!I'm afraid I live miles away in Worcsetershire!I'm still trying to track one down,that won't break the bank!But think the kennel will do as a temporary arrangement.I will definately bring her in tonight...The kennel does have a rubber mesh front, so the others can still live alongside her during the day.Thankyou so much, I'll let you know how I get on! :)

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Very poorly hen; can anyone help?

Started by nellie97 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 19, 2012, 10:26
by compostqueen
xx
Poorly hen

Started by Maccbean on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 18:30
by bantam novice
xx
Poorly hen

Started by conventgirl on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 12:53
by WoodyK

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 38 queries.