Horsetail

• 23 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Horsetail
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2021, 20:47 »
It's curious . . .
Our horsetail around here does not seem to be all that invasive.  Maybe it's a different species?

There are a couple of cultivated versions here in the UK SP.  They are mainly used as marginal pond plants and are quite attractive with reed like leaves in stripy green and black.

The wild weed one is just green and more a tuft of fine leaves.

Ours looks different, and looking it up, it is a different species.  This is it, Equisetum laevigatum: http://www.calflora.net/bloomingplants/smoothscouringrush.html

I think there are other types in different parts of North America, some of which can be weedy. 

Later, I'll try to add photos of my fossil horsetails if anyone is interested.  You probably have the same fossil types near your coal mines.

Added a photo (stem of fossil horsetail called Calamites), I collected this near Birmingham (not your Birmingham, the other one, in Alabama). I'll bet you're glad you don't need to pull that out of the allotment beds!
16268120318101485818705.jpg
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 21:20 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 07:16 »
Slightly off-topic, but we never seem to hear about Japanese Knotweed here anymore!

A few years ago, I had to do a site visit in Wandsworth (London), and saw a patch of the stuff which was actually breaking up a concrete slab, and threatening a solid brick wall next to it!

Nasty, invasive and now notifiable...

Seagull

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2021, 15:25 »
Before we moved last year I had quite a bit in various places which was difficult to get rid of but our new home is absolutely rife with it! I dug loads out but it soon developed into a forest and even comes up between the mortar in the paving outside. :mad: There is no way of even minimising it so I resorted to a chemical approach and found some stuff that really works a treat. It is a very difficult decision to make when you don't want to use herbicides so maybe just see how you go with it for now.

What did you use?

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2021, 06:53 »
This was in a recent rag article...

Not that inspiring and generally uninteresting, but there again, it's only a rag, not a proper scientific piece!

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/garden/1467474/how-to-get-rid-of-mares-tail-horsetail-top-tips-EVG

Goosegirl

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 10:35 »
Before we moved last year I had quite a bit in various places which was difficult to get rid of but our new home is absolutely rife with it! I dug loads out but it soon developed into a forest and even comes up between the mortar in the paving outside. :mad: There is no way of even minimising it so I resorted to a chemical approach and found some stuff that really works a treat. It is a very difficult decision to make when you don't want to use herbicides so maybe just see how you go with it for now.

What did you use?
It's called Kurtail Evo. I got the smaller quantity as a little goes a long way. It's got some type of liquid soap in it as it's very gloopy to pour and produces a foam when you spray it which helps it to stick on the weed. The very next day it looked as if it was getting a bit of a headache then it turned brown within a week. Some more came up which I treated, then I've just got a few bits left unless there's more to come due to the today's rain. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2021, 11:04 »
According to HSE Kurtail is only licensed for use by professionals I think.

https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/pestreg/getfullproduct.asp?productid=37662&pageno=1&origin=prodsearch

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 14:17 by Plot 1 Problems »

AnneB

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 06:45 »
According to HSE Kurtail is only licensed fro use by professionals I think.

https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/pestreg/getfullproduct.asp?productid=37662&pageno=1&origin=prodsearch
Yes that's correct.  Our former plot neighbour spent a lot of money on it.  It looked to have succeeded, but promptly all grew again.

Debz

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 12:42 »
We have it on our allotment.  This is my fourth season and there's nothing like the amount of marestail there was in our first year and what does come up is spindly and smaller than in previous seasons.  I just keep pulling it up - no chemicals involved - just part of weeding as far as I'm concerned.  I don't expect to ever get rid of it all because it's such an invasive wee beast and it will keep trying to creep back in.

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2021, 23:54 »
Just add a few drops of washing up liquid to your weedkiller works better than kurtaill and far cheaper

xx
Horsetail

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 08:35
by Kristen
xx
horsetail

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 24, 2013, 22:32
by Sparkyrog
xx
Horsetail

Started by M0rph3u5 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 12:40
by M0rph3u5
sad
horsetail

Started by paul sadler on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 20, 2017, 12:10
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 49 queries.