What have you cooked for Christmas ?

• 75 Replies

snowdrops

What have you cooked for Christmas ?
« on: December 20, 2014, 22:20 »
I've just done my first bit of baking & made some petit four biscuits for a friend I will see tomorrow. Here's a pic

What do you make to give or eat?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Fairy Plotmother

Re: What have you cooked for Christmas ?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 22:45 »
Ooooh! They look yummy.....I'll put kettle on! :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 23:16 »
They do look lovely Snowy!

All I've made to give away is my annual small Christmas cake, half pint pudding and mincemeat for my Nici, as none of her family like things with dried fruit in!  (silly people!)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 23:22 »
Maybe we should do a pass the biscuit parcel? They look lovely Snowy.  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 23:34 »
Ooh they do look tasty  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 23:46 »
Maybe we should do a pass the biscuit parcel? They look lovely Snowy.  :)

That is a good idea. I nominate you for the biscotti Surbie. ;) I have enough egg whites to make almond stars. ;)

They look lovely Snow.

What have we made to give? Many jars of preserves, mini Christmas cakes, Christmas puds, spiced gin, damson gin, greengage eau de vie but that is all this year. Stuff  happened that needed my attention. I will try to do better next year.

LotuSeed

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 23:53 »
Those look really yummy!
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 06:16 »
Weeeelll, I give preserves away all the time as I keep making them but rarely use them. But for Christmas, I have so far made a rich fruit cake for our Bulgarian neighbours, goodness knows what they will make of it. Marzipaned and iced it yeasterday, just needs finishing. Making mince pies for their daughter today as we have been invited for lunch. Don't know if they will dare try them while wer're there, but I'm sure they will like them as they are so sweet, and they like my pastry. More mince pies and shortbread to make tomorrow for the rest of the neighbours and post lady and milk lady.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 07:01 »
Thanks all. Like Mrs Bee I've had other things taking my attention so it's the first year in at least 26 years I've not made my own mincemeat & I've had to buy some,hangs head in shame. I've not made any chutneys, I pickled some gherkins that I grew but I tried a jar a couple of weeks ago & they're so salty. I suspect I can't have rinsed them well enough. I'm giving 2 jars of marmalade away today that I made earlier on but it was just from a tin of stuff.
We have the house up for sale & had sold just at harvest time so I decided to cut back, then the sale fell through.
All your produce sounds lovely & lucky friends & neighbours. Like Mrs Bee I must try harder :D

surbie100

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 08:21 »
What have we made to give? Many jars of preserves, mini Christmas cakes, Christmas puds, spiced gin, damson gin, greengage eau de vie but that is all this year. Stuff  happened that needed my attention. I will try to do better next year.

That is all? That's masses!

I've made some very pokey chilli vodka for my brother, sloe port and sloe gin, a big Christmas cake to take to Italy and some biscuits.

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 16:50 »

That is all? That's masses!

I've made some very pokey chilli vodka for my brother, sloe port and sloe gin, a big Christmas cake to take to Italy and some biscuits.

Yes I agree Surbie. Just reviewed my last post & it sounded like I too thought Mrs Bee should try harder & that's not I meant at all :(.

Would you be taking cardamom biscotti to Italy Surbie? Christmas cake, I'd been taking a lump of cheddar too :lol:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 16:51 by snowdrops »

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 17:46 »
Well, there was great excitement over the mince pies. The list of ingredients in Bulgarian we gave them they thought was amusing and they didn't quite know what to think. However they started eating them with their meat meal (the meals are rarely hot and people just eat when and whatever order they feel like) and they had to be taken away before they all went. The daughter  (who runs a cafe) asked if I will make some for her party and some shortbread too. So will have to knock up some more mincemeat.

If I have to go shopping I might have to pick up some cheddar to go with the cake....now that would cause a stir!

Steveharford

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 17:50 »
Ive made smoked salmon, smoked cheese, home cured bacon and home cured smoked bacon, smoked garlic, damson gin and damson vodka. Sounds very generous perhaps but i was making all those things for us anyway. also made the cake and pudding which we will be taking to future mother in laws on Christmas eve. We are having our Christmas day on boxing day as my wife ( to be) is working unfortunately. Not really pressies but I will be taking turkey gravy, red cabbage and something ( not decided yet), and a smoked salmon starter of some sort. Just boiled up the ham also, which I will be studding and roasting after dinner this evening. I just hope its cooked after simmering for five hours. It is 5kg though. Should have added meat thermometer to my Santas list.

surbie100

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 18:36 »
Would you be taking cardamom biscotti to Italy Surbie? Christmas cake, I'd been taking a lump of cheddar too :lol:

Yes, plus some ginger thins and a kransekake (chewy almond loveliness) if I can pry the tins out of Mum's cupboards. Ginger thins being made tonight as they keep for a while.

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 20:28 »
Everybody's efforts sound wonderful, I'm glad the mince pies went down well, & fancy getting the requests for more & shortbread.
Surbie, I made 2  Kransekakes a couple of years ago after a friend bought me the tins. I think I posted a photo on here once. I saw Paul Hollywood make one the other night.
Fancy being able to cure all those foods I shall tell my daughter, I bet she will be very interested.

xx
Christmas Pudding

Started by mrs bouquet on Kitchen Natter

4 Replies
Last post December 17, 2018, 14:24
by grinling
xx
Christmas leftovers

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2018, 16:21
by snowdrops
xx
Christmas dinner?

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

9 Replies
Last post December 25, 2016, 19:15
by LILLILEAF
xx
from the excess of Christmas to

Started by chrissie B on Kitchen Natter

6 Replies
Last post January 29, 2014, 13:17
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.