Dangers of using manure?

• 23 Replies

Trikidiki

Re: Dangers of using manure?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 23:11 »
I've only ever, in my 56 years of life, had two tetanus jabs :tongue2: - the first one was when I chopped the tip of my finger off with electric hedge trimmers :( (I never use them now, I use the good old fashioned shears :D), and the second jab was only a booster 10 yrs later - I was in my early 40s when I had my booster :wub:.  I also always wear gardening gloves when I'm working on the allotment 8).  My day job is a legal secretary :wacko:, and I like to keep my hands looking nice, so I don't have ingrained dirt or any cuts. :)

You may be right but I would suspect you had a course of tetanus as a child judging by your age, it was standard practice. Generally it is the over 65s that were not immunised.

As said previously, once you've had your complete course as a child you only need (I believe) another two shots to give you life long immunity.

No, its not anthrax but it does kill.

We do have a low incidence of Tetanus in this country due to the vaccination of children. Most cases are in older people who did not receive the vaccine as a child

How many of us cut, graze or prick themselves and rush off to clean it. Usually its a case of I'll deal with it when I've finished, unless its a serious cut. Unfortunately by then its too late. If you are not up to date or have complete immunity, unless you get treatment immediately the bacteria will gain a hold and start producing toxins before your body can respond by producing antibodies, een if a tetanus jab is given after the injury.

Why take the risk? The injection is no worse than scragging yourself on a rose bush anyway.

lacewing

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 07:24 »
Prevention is always better than cure.
And horse manure is great stuff if handled with care. I certainly won't stop using it,  just  practice good old fashioned hygine.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Babstreefern

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 19:36 »
Sorry Trikidiki, but Tetatnus was never a jab that we received as children, it was for polio :( (you may notice on a lot of, dare I say it, older people, jab marks on their upper arms) ???.  The only time you had a tet jab was if you had cut youself on something that had lain in a dirty area, ie, soil or anything rusty.  My younger brother had a Saturday job when he was a lad working on a farm, and he trod on a nail which went through his shoe and he had to have a jab.  If you don't get the jab, you could end up with lockjaw or, as you say, death.  Very nasty >:(
Babs

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 20:14 »
the nasty scars on upper arms are usually either small pox or TB. as far as I remember ???
You'd only get a tet jab if something nasty happened, as Babs says.

penance

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 20:46 »
For most of us polio vaccine was administered orally, only since 2004 has it been part of a combined jab.
The circular scar on the upper arm is, as Mum says, from the TB jab.

Tetanus has always been a jab. I am sure when i was younger I had my jab + booster and was then told it was every 3 or 5 years to keep up to date, apparently new reasearch has shown that just jabs are needed and then no more.

hamstergbert

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 17:35 »
While there is no need to get too paranoid about every little cut, it is important to keep an eye on them.  The vast majority - which should of course be thoroughly cleaned as soon as sensibly achievable at the end of the day/session on the plot/garden - may be little more than a short term annoyance with tenderness fading quickly and any redness very localised.

However, if minor injuries become very sensitive very rapidly speed is vital in obtaining clinical assessment and/or treatment.  All very well being macho etc but there really are some seriously nasty things you can pick up through minor tissue injuries!

Recent-ish (slightly extreme) example:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/lincolnshire/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8556000/8556535.stm
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Babstreefern

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 18:26 »
Another thing to look out for is blood poisoning.  This is seen as a red line going out from a cut.  Very fasinating - but again, have a doctor look at it.  And yes, it was a TB jab ???, and polio was in the form of a sugar cube 8)

Trikidiki

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 12:55 »
The one that makes the mark on your arm was the BCG immunisation against TB. As seen in on Cleopatra's arm as portrayed by Liz Taylor. It was routinely given to children in their early teens, now it is only given to at risk groups.

The tetanus vaccination was part of the combined vaccine with diptheria, whooping cough and polio.

From the NHS website:

How common is tetanus?
In the UK, since 1961, babies and young children have been routinely immunised against tetanus as part of the national childhood immunisation programme. Therefore, in the UK, tetanus infections are a rare, with most cases affecting people who are over 65 years of age and who have not been immunised.

Eumaeus

• The Island Smallholder
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 13:22 »
LOL - you've beaten me to it on the dpt combined jab :)

But I was going to add that, although naturally normal hygiene rules should apply, normal healthy horse muck is not a health hazard.  My DD and her best friend used to use my muck heap as a slide when  they were younger.  Hard work climbing up as it all slips back down, but GREAT fun throwing yourself onto your backside and sliding down again and they are now extremely healthy 8 and 9 year olds.

Tetanus is a whole other issue - soil is as likely to carry it as muck is :)

Get the horse muck, enjoy it, and look forward to the cherries :)
Amateurs - built the Ark

Professionals?  They built the titanic

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Llama Manure and Manure in general

Started by Ace on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 15:09
by Ace
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 40 queries.