keeping poultry

• 19 Replies

suzyegglet

keeping poultry
« on: December 25, 2007, 23:13 »
hi everyone just joined this forum, just wandered if anyone knows the legal requirement for the distance chickens have to be kept away from residential properties, as i have them on my allotment but wandered if i could keep them in my home garden?
suzy

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Keeping Chickens At Home
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 07:25 »
Hi Suzy,

Firstly welcome to the fourms.

Sorry I cannot answer your question as I don't know a lot about keeping chickens, but I have split your post from the 'announcement' under the information heading as this is the place to find info already posted and your query is likely to get lost and not viewed by those 'in the know'.

Please pop along to the 'Welcome To The Forums' Forum & introduce yourself.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
Keeping Chickens At Home
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 07:51 »
Hi Suzy, welcome to the forums and Merry Christmas! There are no restrictions on keeping chickens in your garden, many folks on here do just that. The only problems you might encounter are fussy neighbours, particularly if you have a cockerel!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Keeping Chickens At Home
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 10:14 »
Hi Susy welcome to the forums, restrictions may be in place if your property is council or rented accommodation also some newer properties have restrictions placed on the deeds worth checking out if you fall into any of these brackets, after that I don't know of any, but common sense says that you should keep them as far away as possible from your or your neighbours house, as like a lot of animals they do attract flies etc.

Don't keep a cockerel if you live in a residential area it asking for trouble in fact it could land you in court for noise pollution !  if you just are after eggs there's no need for one anyway.

Hope this helps
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Keeping Chickens At Home
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 14:17 »
Hi Suzie,

Welcome to the forum.

We started keeping chickens in our garden in April this year.  I did check with the local council before doing so and this was a wise move.  I was told that we could not keep them any near to the house than 15 metres and definately not aloud cockerals.  We are also not aloud to sell eggs commercially?!

They are great fun and the eggs are a fantastic bi-product.  The chickens eat a lot of our vegetable waste and we even collect the poo to use on our allotment.

Enjoy your adventure in hen keeping.

Regards

Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
Keeping Chickens At Home
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 22:11 »
Hello suzyegglet im sure you will be fine with keeping chickens in your back garden if your not a tenant with rules?.
I live in Norfolk just outside dereham and even though i own my own home i can not own any animals at my property but i live in a small house / terrace with a little garden.
Like your self i keep my chickens on my allotment not far away so they dont bother anyone anyway.
There they have a large pen and with them being local i can care for them well.
Do you have a cockerel? this is the only time people seem to moan as they do make a noise but it all depends on what sort of area you live in and the type of neighbours.
Im sure with a few hens there will be no problem but i would check with that its ok.
Is there any specific reason why you want to move them from your allotment?
Im from north licolnshire origionaly any most of the allotments are owned by the local authority and they dont allow chickens although theres no national law saying you cant.
Im happy here as my allotment is charity land within a rural area and on the land me and a lady keep chickens and there isnt any harsh rules.
Is it really nessesary to move them?
Jonny

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Keeping Chickens At Home
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 22:17 »
Hi Suzy,  I think it depends on your local council as some people on here aren't allowed poultry at all at their homes, others don't seem to have any restrictions so it's worth checking with your local council for definative advice.

Welcome to the forums, and welcome too to Jonny1982!

from one Suzy to another  :D

Sally A

Keeping Chickens At Home
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 22:25 »
When I was a nipper, the neighbours had a cockerel, and waking up to that sound was so unintrusive, much less so than the electric alarm clock of today, in fact even now I would not take offence to it.

I occasionally still wake up to either the sheep, cows or horses in the fields over the road but wouldn't think twice about moaning about the noise.  Flip; give me that over city noises any day.

I can't believe that people move from towns to the country without expecting these sounds, they don't insist that all cars with car alarms that go off are taken away and destroyed, but they do with animals.  I know what I'd rather hear.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Keeping Chickens At Home
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 22:37 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
I can't believe that people move from towns to the country without expecting these sounds

Sorry to take this off topic, but I've heard that a lot of city folk who are moving to the countryside for the idylic way of life are actually complaining about the countryside way of doing things; cockerels / tractors / cow sh*t etc!!  :lol:   I think it's hillarious personally!

Sally A

Keeping Chickens At Home
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 22:38 »
Perhaps the new Home Information Packs should enlighten them.  Just wait for the pig muck spreading.

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
Keeping Chickens At Home
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 22:40 »
I agree with sally a in regard to cockerels. If you type in cockerel into google you will fine one or two stories where there is a peice of someone being told off and warned about a noisey cockerel.
I love to hear them i live in a village and would rather hear that than a train , plane of any other traffic.
Think about it logically a cockerel may start crowing at 5 am when most of us are asleep behind double glazed windows and walls!
I dont think that you would be woken by that at all , we do sleep through a lot of things.
The people who complain are just miserable grumbling people with nothing better to do who were probarbly awake to hear the cockerel crowing and just want to moan.

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
Keeping Chickens At Home
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 22:42 »
Thanks for the welcome snoozisuzi ;-}

Sally A

Keeping Chickens At Home
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 22:43 »
there's nothing nicer than being woken gently at 5.00am, and realising you've got another 2 hours plus to snooze before you really need to get up.

jonny1982

• Experienced Member
Keeping Chickens At Home
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 22:44 »
Thats true , other than an arlarm clock buzzing in your ear!

Selkie

Keeping Chickens At Home
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 23:39 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
Quote from: "Sally A"
I can't believe that people move from towns to the country without expecting these sounds

Sorry to take this off topic, but I've heard that a lot of city folk who are moving to the countryside for the idylic way of life are actually complaining about the countryside way of doing things; cockerels / tractors / cow sh*t etc!!  :lol:   I think it's hillarious personally!

I agree too; people move here and then complain about the smell of silage etc. My favourite though are the people who bought 'posh' holiday homes/appartments right by the sea on Valentia and then complain about the smell from the lobster/shrimp pots, noise of the sea gulls (!!) and early morning noise from the fishermen... :roll:  They also complain about the lobster pots/fishing tackle ''cluttering'' up the pier :roll:

xx
Keeping Poultry !

Started by dazza on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 23, 2007, 17:06
by Trillium
xx
Keeping poultry on an allotment?

Started by Hayleynotts on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2014, 11:36
by jamesbarbara
xx
Poultry Record Keeping.

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 21:20
by too many girls
xx
Keeping poultry in the garden

Started by tosca100 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 16, 2012, 20:18
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 35 queries.