dead chicken

• 12 Replies

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
dead chicken
« on: November 25, 2012, 11:49 »
 :(
We finally got our 4 bantams 2 buff orpys & 2 gold laced on 10th Nov,
 settled in well all happy eating, drinking, foraging around their run no concerns to be had.
This morning the smallest gold laced was dead on the floor of the coop  :(
Have spoken to the lady who we purchased them from & she talked me through various things that it coild have been but no conclusion made.
Can a small chicken die from being too cold if it wasn't huddled with the others ?
It was very windy & colder than it has been last night here.

So sad she never even got to lay an egg  :(

I also need to ask what is the best kind of detergent to use for the coop :unsure:  as need to give it a deeper clean really now that happened.

The other 3 are fine  :)

grinling

Re: dead chicken
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 12:38 »
Sorry to hear the news. It could have been shock of moving. I presume it's eyes were fine and no sneezing and coughing.
I would use Jeyes fluid watered down and allow to dry completely.
Keep an eye on the others.
Make sure all are allowed to eat and no pecking going on.
My sussex and Bluebelle prefer to sleep on top of the house, housing area is enclosed though.

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 16:29 »
Thanks  :(  I have used a very diluted jeyes fluid to wash coop out & did allow to dry  :)
I have not noticed a 'pecking order' so to speak yet & they did come from a run of about 25 in so not as warm with just 4 :-(
Our coop in a secure run but thought leaving door open would make it colder ? They seem no to want to get on the perch in the coop instead prefer to huddle on floor in one corner  :unsure:
Would replacing her be an issue ? They have only been here for 2 weeks and are young birds at 5 months.  :unsure:

grinling

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 19:14 »
Problem with adding another is that you should quarrantine any new ones for a few weeks. If that isn't a problem then I would leave it for a few weeks just in case there is an illness.
When holding them do they feel a good weight or very light?
Apart from the 2 which keep perching on the roof, I also have a speckledy hen who is moulting, and 3 bantams. They all sleep in the nest box (chicks know no better but 2 of them used to perch). I have closed 1 vent, but leave the pop hole open.
In winter I also remove the water feeder and replace with an open container(Tool container) as the feeder can crack.

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 21:45 »
Well when I can catch them  (to which there is obviously an art that I have not mastered yet  ;) ) they are not heavy but then as they are only bantams I didn't expect then to be  :unsure:
Oh ok I was worried about that - not got room to quarantine or keep seperate at all really as in our urban back garden & I am quite worried in case it doesn't go well. One of the reasons for replacing is it was my 3 year olds hen  :(
Ahh sounds like you have a lovely brood   :)

splash101

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 22:17 »
I wonder with it being the smallest one whether it got trampled.

I got some new hens a week before you and they have settled in well but i have noticed that when i lock up at night and check them, they have sometimes all piled into one area and the one at the bottom of the pile looks a bit wedged in. (even though they are in a huge coop and there's only 4 of them)
Mine are all big girls of the same size and she manages to get out ok.

I've had the ocassional chick die because they've all squashed together and it has suffocated.

might not have been but just a thought.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 08:59 »
Well when I can catch them  (to which there is obviously an art that I have not mastered yet  ;) ) they are not heavy but then as they are only bantams I didn't expect then to be  :unsure:
Oh ok I was worried about that - not got room to quarantine or keep seperate at all really as in our urban back garden & I am quite worried in case it doesn't go well. One of the reasons for replacing is it was my 3 year olds hen  :(
Ahh sounds like you have a lovely brood   :)

They should be easy to catch and handle after they have been roosting for a while at night. They go very dopey. If you ever to think about replacing the one that died (very sorry) you will need 2 - it is too traumatic to expect one hen to cope with the settling down period on her own. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 21:44 »
Thank you for all you comments - have been away due to a computer virus  >:(

We took the plunge and replaced our lost hen with another from the same breeder probably one of its sisters. Put her in coop whilst other 3 were busy with some cake & apart from quick chase from one of the others that afternoon, they all went to bed happy hens together that night  :D

2 now snuggle together in one of the nest boxes whilst the other 2 snuggle on the perch - so all happy again :)

Thank you for your advice, may be afyer a few 'treat' tops - heard someone say porridge ??  :unsure:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 23:22 »
You can use cheap digital kitchen scales to keep an eye on the weights your bantams.   :blink:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

grinling

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 16:26 »
Mix porridge oats with cooled boiled water in a bowl, I use a dog bowl.

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 18:17 »
Thanks for tip on porridge - I was wondering how they would 'take it'  ;)

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 14:49 »
You can also mix their layers pellets with boiling water and allow to cool, make layers porridge and they love it.
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

Mega

• Green Manure Plot 99
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 22:09 »
Thanks   :)  symonep   this is what my girls will have in the morning when I do their weekly clean out whilst getting told off !! :lol:

xx
dead chicken

Started by rd1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2014, 05:50
by joyfull
xx
dead chicken

Started by peter o on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 13:41
by chickenlady
xx
dead chicken

Started by matty42 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 23:31
by Kym503
xx
dead chicken

Started by Lizziechick on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 19, 2014, 19:59
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 35 queries.