Cutting down tree, advice please.

• 25 Replies

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Cutting down tree, advice please.
« on: May 02, 2012, 12:11 »
Hi all,

I want to take down a 35ft spruce in our back garden. We have watched it grow over the last ten years but I’m afraid it’s now too big for our little garden and we are having problems with the roots and its proximity to mine and our neighbour’s house. I have spoken to my local council and have been given the go-ahead.

Is this something I can do myself? I was thinking of taking the branches off one at a time and then taking small lengths out from the top down.

I was considering leaving the last 500mm of the trunk and using it as a seat. Obviously this would mean leaving the root base as well but that’s ok as long as the roots don’t grow any larger. Would the tree try to re-grow if I did this? Or would it slowly kill the root structure?

Any advice would be greatly received.
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

DrGreenthumb

• lake garda and ice cream.....yep
Re: Cutting down tree, advice please.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 13:00 »
Dunno but I have had issues with trees on my allotment, I was advised to dig out as much root as I can then fill the hole with rocksalt, so far so good
If I plant them, will they grow?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 17:24 »
I have a feeling that conifers don't tend to resprout.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

grinling

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 17:35 »
Branches can be heavy so are you confident enough to cut the tree down safely. Try to get quotes from tree surgeons, might be cheaper to get rid of the wood yourself (freecycle).

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 17:38 »
Drill some 25mm dia holes in the top of the remaining trunk and fill with SBK. Cover the trunk with plastic or other waterproof material. Trunk and root's will be killed.

Goldfinger

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 18:36 »

I'd wait until after the 'nesting season'. There might be something with young up there that you may not have noticed.

As for DIY, you could do it, how big at the widest point is the trunk, if it's not that big a sharp bowsaw may do it (in stages) because its a soft wood, unlike an oak tree! 

I've been asked to trim down to 8ft, a line of conifers along our allotment fence for a fellow plotter (I have a chainsaw though), but I'm waiting 'til later, hence 'nesting season'.  ;)

And, (I think), with it being spruce, I don't think it'll have a 'preservation order' on it.

P.S. with it being in the back garden, the extra light that will be let in, you'll wish you done it sooner  ;)
I hear so many people complaining about 'their neighbours trees!'

AlfieD

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 19:10 »
Hi I'm from a family of timber fellers and I'm not sure the DIY approach is the best for you or the houses, how will you climb 35ft, support yourself up there and have your hands free to work, if you use a ladder it will need moving out of the way while the timber you cut falls to ground, if not cut properly the end you cut can jump back at you, if you are standing at say 30ft that's a long way to come down, I would get some quotes and leave work at height to those who do it for living

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 19:25 »

I cut down a 25ft lilac tree,nightmare.

Had to make sure all branches that were cut from top fell in right direction

Also cutting branches at height should be carried out by professionals(IMO after my experience)

Falling out of a tree is no fun.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 19:44 »
Honestly, I would say that is a job for a professional. 

Your insurance will not cover any damage to your house or your neighbour's house should anything go wrong as the branches come off. A professional would have a ground worker on a rope to lower these and control the rate and direction of the fall. They will also climb the tree and be roped securely to it, not balancing on a ladder, which is pretty dangerous.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but OH does tree work and has had to rescue many a job where people started themselves and realised it was a bit out of their scope.  A fellow plot holder had a real scare trying to remove a similar sized conifer and nearly did himself some major harm.  OH sorted it for him  ;)  :)

jrko

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 20:16 »
Honestly, I would say that is a job for a professional. 

Yup.  Dont even try it yourself.  There's enough wood in that to kill you or someone else, let alone cause damage!  Get a pro in. 

Keep the logs and use them if you have an open fire or nice garden brazier.  If not someone will take it of your hands.  BTW you'll see when you're splitting the 2+ tons of wood that you were wise to get a pro in.
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 21:50 »
I don't think people have any idea just how heavy the trunk is on a 35 year old tree. And the incredible damage it will do if it happens to fall the wrong way or shy of the intended mark. And trees never co-operate; they'll always fall the wrong way.

Getting in professionals will save you no end of headaches and they'll also clear away the mess. Whatever it costs, it's worth it.  If they make a mistake, they pay.

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 09:22 »
Thanks all.

I think I’ve over estimated the height of the tree, I had another look last night and reckon its closer to 28ft at the tip. My mistake.

I plan to attempt this myself ((( :ohmy: )))and feel confident it’s something I can handle if I take my time and plan accordingly. I will start near the top, the trunk thins considerably and I think I can reduce it by at least six foot with a single cut. I don’t see why I will ever need to be higher than 20ft. After that I will take one branch at a time from the top down.

I wasn’t planning to start for another couple of months, one reason being there are pigeons nesting in it at the mo. I’ve also cleared it with the Council.

I plan to save the logs and season them for our wood burning stove.

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 09:24 »
Drill some 25mm dia holes in the top of the remaining trunk and fill with SBK. Cover the trunk with plastic or other waterproof material. Trunk and root's will be killed.

FC, thanks, what is SBK?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 09:44 »
If using a ladder make sure it is tied securely and also you wear a harness (again with ropes securely fastened off), hard hat, gloves and if using a chain saw then proper protection of chainsaw proof trousers and boots (purchasing these could be as expensive as getting a professionally in to do the job for you).
As it's a spruce then yes do take off the side branches first.
Spruce is a very spring wood as has been pointed out so be very careful.
Remember when cutting to first make a wedge shaped cut (known as a gob cut) facing the direction you want the timber to fall. This helps to relieve the tension and helps to keep you in control.

Do not attempt to do this on your own - enlist the help of others to either keep an eye on you and the wood and also to possibly help lower the wood and branches using ropes.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 10:09 »
Thanks joyful.

I plan to do all cutting with a bowsaw (by hand). Once the tree is stripped of its branches I will simply take the trunk down two feet at a time. I know this means a lot of cutting by hand but I feel its the safest way, no falling tree to worry about!

xx
Tree Lilies - cutting back?

Started by MichelleC on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 14:10
by Diddy Gardener
xx
Hardwood Cutting Advice Please

Started by Teen76 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 20:54
by Teen76
xx
Lawn Cutting Advice

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2023, 08:08
by jezza
xx
Cutting garden advice sought

Started by Living in Hope on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 19:42
by Living in Hope

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 34 queries.