pak choi

• 11 Replies

rowlandwells

pak choi
« on: June 12, 2011, 13:49 »
hi all
have i left it to late to sow pak choi i was a bit unsure to sow because of the dry conditions as i know its prone to bolting Ive always sown pack choi in modules but its never done any good and basically ended up in the compost bin  :(

does pak choi like being transplanted or is it best to sow in rows and then thin out i must be doing something wrong maybe its the variety ime growing [wong bok]
any advise  :unsure:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: pak choi
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 15:10 »
We aren't growing it this year, but when we do it is sown direct in an open sunny position. The normal planting period is April to July.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 15:23 »
I have just sown it direct into my raised bed and kept watered well.

Fantastic results. More Pak Choi than we can really eat and fabulous looking/tasting plants.

I am growing Green F1 hybrid from T&M

Nest

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 17:04 »
Mine have started to produce flowers.  I take it that this is not 'good' but can I still eat them (flowers n all)?
Jx

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 17:12 »
The flower stalk is certainly delicious and the flowers edible but a bit bitter.

Pak choi is a daylight-length dependent plant and so if you want it to heart up, as opposed to loose leaf salad, sow it after the longest day ie 21st June.

If you sow it in a well watered drill about half an inch deep it comes up really quick. Round our way we have to net it against greedy pigeons who pull up the seedlings  :lol:

Hope that helps  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 17:22 »
I am not sure about that sunshineband. I sowed mine in April and the 'hearts' are much bigger than in the shops and so succulent. They really are tasty 'bruisers'.

Maybe it is the type of seed, maybe it has been the weather, maybe I have just been lucky but I will certainly be sowing in April again next year.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 17:32 »
I am glad you had such a good crop grubby paws  :)

Most seed packets give the advice about sowing June/July for good hearts, but if it werks fer you....  :D

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 17:59 »
Thank you! Must be the type of seed; it says to sow April through October, so I did.

I am also growing them in raised beds and under Harrod H netting hoops which probably helps. Pak Choi obviously like being spoiled rotten!

However, I am useless at succession planting and we have quite a wee glut  ::). Even my husband who is a WOK fiend is getting a little over awed  :blink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 18:03 »
Great to have something to share though, especially when it costs so much in the shops  :D

hogwarden

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 18:20 »
 :)I sow about 20 seeds every 7/10 days in mini cells and pot them on into 4" pots but leave them in the greenhouse as long as poss. before moving them out onto a long shelf with a netting curtain? (about 1M from ground)
Well....it works for me to beat those damned pidgeons and whenever  i`ve sown direct they get wrecked by fleabeatle as well >:(,-which i`m beginning to suspect doesn`t fly so high hence I now have edible quality sized `choi at last--they do heart up better as the day length increases, now doubt about that as the early ones (just followed the packet April+!) stayed pretty `thin`, so I reckon the later growing gives better results. :happy:

Grubbypaws

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 18:26 »
Absolutely sunshineband :D  However my neighbours are rather elderly and a bit skeptical of such foreign fare  :unsure: . I am growing my veg in the front garden so dont have the allotment community hence our diet of Stir fried Pak Choi .

I am also rather overwhelmed by my turnip 'oasis'; i am sure that I can see them growing!! And they look like the ones in the picture  (http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/all-other-vegetable-seeds/turnip-oasis/433TM ) only much much bigger  :ohmy:

OH is putting them in every salad and sandwich but tonight he has resorted to roasting them with the chicken; anything to get away from another night of stir fried Pak Choi   ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 19:30 »
Memories of child hood there, Grubbypaws.

Dad had a mass of turnips one year and we had them every day. One evening's tea was turnips mashhes with butter and black pepper --- on toast!! :ohmy:

xx
pak choi

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2017, 16:17
by jambop
xx
Pak choi

Started by rutters on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 23:05
by Growbag
xx
pak choi

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 11, 2023, 21:11
by Learnerlady
xx
pak choi

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 11:30
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 36 queries.