Celeriac

• 8 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Celeriac
« on: March 26, 2016, 17:34 »
I've now decided that the secret of my surprise crop of bumper celeriac last month was the length of their time in the ground. I've therefore started some seeds earlier than normal in the heated propagator with a view to planting out sturdy seedlings by the end of April to give them a good 8 or 9 months before harvesting.

Anyone else doing likewise?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Celeriac
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 18:00 »
I remember that they took ages to germinate, so an early sowing could well be the answer to success  ;)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 14:55 »
I've now decided that the secret of my surprise crop of bumper celeriac last month was the length of their time in the ground. I've therefore started some seeds earlier than normal in the heated propagator with a view to planting out sturdy seedlings by the end of April to give them a good 8 or 9 months before harvesting.

Anyone else doing likewise?

Yep. I always do that.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 19:50 »
As per your suggestion but remember that they are gluttons for good soil and water ... and having the leaves well pruned I'm told.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 20:15 »
Yes, I'm forgetting the other factor that probably contributed to the surprise harvest. We have three geriatric and incontinent Shetlands. I doubt the soil could get any richer  :lol:

Robster

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 08:45 »
I had been growing these, not too well for a couple of years.  My plot neighbour always has a tremendous crop.  And he told me what he does which I'm doing this year.  Start early in a propagator (February for me),  Pot on and keep frost free (cool greenhouse for me).  Plant out when all frost is over.  Keep well watered.  I noticed last year that a lot of growth came on at the end of the year November/December.

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 12:12 »
Well, I'll be getting my celeriac going now, then. The seed packet instructions obviously leave things too late (I'm starting to doubt the usefulness of packet instructions). Thanks for mentioning this, AlaninCarlisle.

Eblana

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 12:16 »
I sowed mine on 2nd March and they are up nicely now.  They are still too tiny to prick out but as soon as they are big enough they will be going in pots in my frost free greenhouse.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 19:39 »
Well, I'll be getting my celeriac going now, then. The seed packet instructions obviously leave things too late (I'm starting to doubt the usefulness of packet instructions). Thanks for mentioning this, AlaninCarlisle.

Many of the seed packets don't tell you not to cover the seeds with compost as they need light to germinate. Thank goodness for the internet.

Mine are nearly ready for pricking out.

xx
Celeriac

Started by devon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 18:56
by sunshineband
xx
Celeriac

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 16:54
by strangerachael
xx
Celeriac

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post October 18, 2015, 22:54
by compostqueen
xx
Celeriac

Started by gregmcalister on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2007, 19:58
by gobs

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 40 queries.