Winter festival Cake - when to people make?

• 91 Replies

Willow_Warren

Winter festival Cake - when to people make?
« on: October 03, 2012, 08:52 »
Hi,

I was wondering when people make their Christmas cake?

I normally make mine at the end of November, the weeks always seem to slip by!  But I was thinking of making it earlier this year as my chickens are going off lay and it would seem a shame to make the Christmas cakes with bought eggs! (which I had to do the year before last!).  So was wondering if I could get them made earlier this year (I have 2 x 8" cakes to make!)

Hannah :)

edit for banned word  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:04 by mumofstig »

Mrs Bee

Re: Winter festival cake - when to people make?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 08:59 »
I made mine in January when the last piece had been eaten.

I have more time then and I feed with alcohol each month.
By the time Christmas comes the cake staggers off the serving plate onto the tea plates. :D

edit for banned word  ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:05 by mumofstig »

sarajane

Re: Winter festival cake - when to people make?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 14:06 »

By the time Christmas comes the cake staggers off the serving plate onto the tea plates. :D

edit for banned word  ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Love it.  I make mine mid October and just starting to get my ingredients together.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:50 by mumofstig »

Growster...

Re: Winter festival Cake - when to people make?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 06:34 »
Mrs G and I bought the fruit yesterday, and it is just recovering from its first glass of cooking brandy...

Agatha

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 12:42 »
If I'm making a Christmas cake, it's usually at the end of November, but my dad makes a much better one than I do so I usually just steal half his cake instead.   ;)  But I don't put brandy in mine as I'm allergic to it - I think if you want to do that you should start earlier.  My cousin makes hers about 3 months in advance, but you'd fail a breathalyser test after one slice of her cake  :lol:

edit for banned word  ::)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:50 by mumofstig »
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 12:57 »
I'm going to do mine tomorrow, and a little one for my Nici as the rest of her family don't like fruit cakes.  I'll also make her a little festive pudding, and maybe some mince pies, but as I will be seeing her early December, she and I will have to eat the mince pies or she can find a little space in her freezer!  :lol:

I've still got half of last year's cake which wasn't marzipanned in the freezer too!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 12:59 »
I made 3 last month and will make another 3 this month although as none of us like marzipan we just have them as very rich alcoholic  fruit cakes.
Staffies are softer than you think.

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 15:15 »
if we are talking Christmas cake then i do mine this month ,( why has everyone got a line through Christmas have i missed something ?)
chrissie b

edit - that naughty word is banned until much nearer the date!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 15:56 by mumofstig »
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 15:27 »
if we are talking Christmas cake then i do mine this month ,( why has everyone got a line through Christmas have i missed something ?)
chrissie b

I think it is something to do with the mods banning the word Christmas and they put a line through the word/ edit it.

Seems a little sureal to me as Winter solstice or Winter festival gets left alone and they mean the same thing.

That word again!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 16:00 by mumofstig »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 15:31 »
I'm going to do mine tomorrow, and a little one for my Nici as the rest of her family don't like fruit cakes.  I'll also make her a little festive pudding, and maybe some mince pies, but as I will be seeing her early December, she and I will have to eat the mince pies or she can find a little space in her freezer!  :lol:

I've still got half of last year's cake which wasn't marzipanned in the freezer too!

You have Christmas cake left over from last Christmas Grannie? :ohmy:  :ohmy:

Now that wouldn't happen in my house. :lol: :lol:

One year I made 2 cakes to try 2 different recipes.
MY son and husband polished both of them off by the end of January and they were the only ones eating them.

you can't get round it that way either  ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 16:03 by mumofstig »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 15:54 »
chrissie b

I think it is something to do with the mods banning the word Christmas and they put a line through the word/ edit it.

Seems a little sureal to me as Winter solstice or Winter festival gets left alone and they mean the same thing.

It's not sureal, it's called having a little fun!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 16:01 »
if we are talking Christmas cake then i do mine this month ,( why has everyone got a line through have i missed something ?)
chrissie b
I think it is something to do with the mods banning the word and they put a line through the word/ edit it.
It's not sureal, it's called having a little fun!

Yes, it's an old standing joke from years back.  Certain of our members don't think that should be mentioned until the last minute, as it seems to come round earlier and earlier every year in the shops, so a 'ban' was put on the word.

Just our cranky sense of humour I'm afraid!  Ignore us, we are happy really!!!   And I for one love the season of decorations and lovely food and drink, but I live with someone who doesn't like it, and we don't see anyone over usually, so I have to have my when I go down to Kent to see my Nici in early December.

And yes Mrs B half of my cake IS still in the freezer.  Brian and I are trying not to eat cakes etc at the moment.  In fact we had some of last year's when our friends Harry and Hazel popped round when I'd just put the marzipan on it.  We all had a piece and hey loved it so much I gave them the rest of it to take home!  :lol:

But don't get me wrong, I love boozy fruit cake as much as the rest of you!

Actually the winter solstice is a different festival.  My cousin is a pagan, so she doesn't celebrate , but she does celebrate yuletide and the other days around that time.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:49 by Aunt Sally »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 16:08 »
Grannie you've only got away with those norty words because the message box won't let me scroll down far enought to edit them  :dry:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 16:12 »
Grannie you've only got away with those norty words because the message box won't let me scroll down far enought to edit them  :dry:
I got them. ;)

NO MENTION OF WINTERVALSTICE UNTIL MIDNIGHT 24TH DECEMBER. ;) :tongue2: :tongue2:
Cheese makes everything better.

hamstergbert

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 16:57 »
Seems a little sureal to me as Winter solstice or Winter festival gets left alone and they mean the same thing. (as the word in question)

They almost might to Birmingham City Council  but not to all of us!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

xx
Posr your winter festival cake recipe please.

Started by JaK on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 20:15
by sunshineband
xx
'Winter Festival Pudding' help please

Started by rhysdad on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2011, 07:16
by Swing Swang
xx
Vegetarian winter Festival Dinner

Started by daisy1990 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 11:31
by joyfull
xx
talking of winter festival cakes

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 18:45
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 36 queries.