'Winter Festival Pudding' help please

• 2 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
'Winter Festival Pudding' help please
« on: November 17, 2011, 21:58 »
As it's nearly Winter festival time i'm preparing in advance and trying to get the puddings done. I'm using Delia's recipe with a few tweaks (Dried damsons from my Gin!!) but i need advice on two points.
First is covering the puddings ready for steaming. Delia says to use a pudding cloth but i haven't got the two i'll need. Is one pleated layer of Greaseproof paper sufficient or will it let the pud get wet?
Secondly, a steaming query. Her recipe states steaming, in a normal pan, for 8 hours initially and a further two on Winter festival day but i want to use my ancient (freecycled) prestige pressure cooker. She states to steam for 2 1/2 hrs using the 5lb weight. My weight just say H and L on them with H on the heavier weight. Can anyone help me re this please!!!  :blink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: 'Winter Festival Pudding' help please
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:06 »
Go for the H for the time given in the recipe --  steaming these puds is not as exact as baking a sponge in the oven and it should be fine.

My old one didn't have the weight change facility and it cooked puds OK with no issues. Mine must have been over 5lb!

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Swing Swang

Re: 'Winter Festival Pudding' help please
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 07:16 »
Greaseproof is fine for Christmas puddings, however it may tear if you allow the pressure to drop too quickly after steaming (in other words let the pressure cooker cool naturally). I usually use three layers or so. For pudding cloths I just get a length of cotton fabric from a haberdashers which seems the cheapest way of doing it, and looks pretty if you give them away as Christmas presents.

SS

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 38 queries.