My First Allotment

• 7 Replies

RobynAlexandra

My First Allotment
« on: May 17, 2019, 16:21 »
Heyllo forums members and suchlike!

I grow many things at home, with interests mainly in bonsai, but I am also vegan, so eat a lot of veg and fruit, so I decided recently to apply for an allotment with my local town council, within 4 weeks I got the call that a space was available nearby.

I went to see it wednesday, expecting to fight my way through waist high weeds and rubbish... nothing of the sort, the plot was clean, and freshly ploughed, ready to use! It is a decent sized plot, gets full sun exposure all day long, and is 20 minutes walk from home, or 4 minutes in the car!

I want to save a lot of money on my food bill if possible, though I am only 5 and a half feet tall and around 7 and a half stones in weight, so I do not eat excessively, but i really do wish to produce my own food, and bypass the supermarkets altogether eventually. I will also use the plot to plant some small trees to thicken up the trunks for future bonsai trees, i have ran out of room at home so the allotment is an obvious solution.

I have grown my own tomatoes at home, as well as runner beans and potatoes, onions etc, so i have some experience, but I am sure I have a heck of a lot to learn from this forum and my own errors!

Anyway, looking forward to growing some veg very soon, and interacting on here!

By the way I live in west norfolk!

Fairy Plotmother

Re: My First Allotment
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 18:14 »
Hello and welcome. Sounds like you’ve good a good start with a tidy plot. Good luck.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 18:39 »
Hi there & welcome to the forums. So lovely to here that some people get to take on a plot that’s in a good state,lucky you😊. Sounds like you are raring to go & that you have got some good experience already that will stand you in good stead
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

RobynAlexandra

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 23:10 »
Thanks for the warm welcome =)

I guess i do have patience in my favour, but little experience managing a plot of this size, i wish i had the measurements to hand but i dont yet, not even got the key to my plot so i am unable to do anything now but make lists and diagrams, but yes, i cannot wait to plant my first few rows of edibles, and i enjoy watching plants grow, aside from the bonsai i also have lots of house plants, cacti and succulents, and i even have a planted aquascape full of Anubias and other plants i do not know the name off, My bedroom is basically an extension of my garden right now, as i still have a couple of bonsai trees in here, but instead of curtains or blinds, I have my ivy and tradescantias hanging up in the window, so i am pretty much surrounded by greenery wherever i am, i even debated whether to put a tropical succulent in my car on the dash board, still might do that yet =)

Snowpea

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 12:15 »
Hi and welcome. I'm trying the vegi selfsufficient thing as well. Haven't quite achieved it yet but its early days. All the best in your endeavours.  :D

Iecabus

• Experienced Member
  • Plot holder since January 2018
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 12:55 »
Have loads of fun! Its great that you have a plot ready to go. Both of my plots were in a dire state when I got them, I'm still whipping them into shape now but I'm enjoying the challenge. Enjoy and welcome.

RobynAlexandra

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 17:09 »
Hey thank you =)

Got the tenancy agreement today, so i am all set almost. I had plans this weekend to drive 130+ miles to visit a bonsai nursery, those plans are now on hold, will spend this weekend getting raised beds made up with some spare decking i have in the garden!

I already have 1000s and 1000s of veg seeds, grow tunnels and whatnot, all good to go almost, i just need the key to the site now!

Its funny, as soon as i told my family i had an allotment, they all want to chip in, which is awesome, between me and my brother, we can knock up a shed with pallets easily, though i am not an expert with wood, i did make my own ukulele a few years back from scratch, and it still plays well and holds its tune!

I will apologise now as i will probably post so many newby questions on here, but i dont want to be too annoying =)

Oh, my plot is 0.046 acres, if that means anythinig to anyone....

Pescador

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 18:09 »
Congratulations on your new plot!
Sounds like 223sq.yds or approx. 10 poles which was the standard plot size.
Ask away, we all started somewhere!
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

xx
Greetings - New Allotment

Started by Fimble on Welcome to the Forums

8 Replies
Last post June 04, 2019, 08:21
by Iecabus
question
Just got an allotment!

Started by Dan82 on Welcome to the Forums

4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2020, 09:43
by Yorkie
xx
new to allotment

Started by Honeybee68 on Welcome to the Forums

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2018, 16:48
by Fairy Plotmother
xx
New Allotment

Started by CatherineR on Welcome to the Forums

10 Replies
Last post January 13, 2018, 04:03
by Mophair

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 47 queries.