Timing of worming - newbies and broodies

• 9 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Timing of worming - newbies and broodies
« on: June 16, 2013, 10:33 »
My lot were last wormed just over 3 months ago, so got a bit of leeway on timing.  I've got 2 new girls that are currently 16 weeks old and a couple of the older ones have decided to go broody  ::)

They all use the same garden, so no point worming in batches, but am I going to have to wait until all the broodies have finished before they get wormed?  Obviously would like to get everyone done before the new girls go in, but am I better wating until afterwards  :unsure:

Usually the broodies have finished any spring sessions by now and then go off the idea again until late summer, but I think the mad weather has them confused  ::)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Timing of worming - newbies and broodies
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 11:26 »
I have wormed my hens when broody but it is best to give them a daily dose as their food intake would not be enough if using pellets with flubenvet already added.  ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 13:16 »
I can see this costing me a small fortune in grapes  ::)  :lol:

How do you calculate a daily dose please ?  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 20:38 »
It is a bit of a guessing game as it depends on how much your hen would usually eat.  Mine worked out that she would eat 2kg of food in 2 weeks.  The dosage for 2kg of feed is 6g so you would only need 3g for a full week.  Daily you would need just under 1/2g.   ::) :lol:  Best to measure the 3g and then divide it in to 7 portions.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 06:38 »
You are a star  :)  Was over thinking that one totally, but simple when you know how  ::)  :D

May call on your expertise re the new girls soon.  One seems to be going slightly redder in the face than the other . Hoping 'she' isn't suddenly going to become a he. Bit paranoid as last time I raised young birds this happened  ::)

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 10:26 »
I hope they are both pullets, they do look that way on the photos I have seen.  How old are they now as you just might have an early developer?  My little cross Wyandotte bantam was laying at 18 weeks.  Try and get some up to date photos to post.   :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 21:18 »
They are 16 weeks, but one has always been smaller than the other and a bit behind in the feathering department.  The faces look redder in the pictures than they are are in real life  ;)

Edina.  Always been the larger of the 2, loud, greedy girl, very silly, almost throws herself around.   Raucous voice, but not as rough as our Pats  ::)

Patsy.  Well hopefully Patsy and not Paul  ::) Bit scaggier, but not afraid to fight for what she wants.  Still feathering on her back and got chick tufty tail.   Developing voice like she's chewing a bag of gravel while smoking a fag  :lol:

No agression whatever from the boys towards either of them, but some of the older girls are not so keen  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 22:12 »
It is difficult to tell, their body shape should be different at 16 weeks for male and female.  Patsy doesn't seem to have much of a comb from the angle of the photo.  Wyandottes do tend to have pointy neck feathers in both male and female so that adds to the confusion.  My young male bantams had significantly redder combs and wattles from very early on.

splash101

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 22:29 »
I've got some 4 week old wyandotte bantam chicks and the males comb and wattles have been red for about a week now.
Their wattles already look the same size as yours are now.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 20:40 »
Patsy has almost no comb and their body shapes are very similar,  Patsy has always been smaller -maybe hatched a couple of days later  :unsure:

Sounds promising anyway that are both girls.  Thank you both for your help  :)

xx
Too many broodies!

Started by Cabbie37 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 20:24
by mdueal
xx
can you have 2 broodies together?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 14:07
by jobson336
xx
Broodies and age ?

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 10:01
by Vember
xx
Broodies

Started by Fraggle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 22:52
by Cluckyclaire

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 35 queries.