Tomato crop expected

• 5 Replies

mixdiver

Tomato crop expected
« on: June 02, 2010, 08:30 »
This is more of a discussion than a specific question but I was wondering what sort of crop (weight of harvested fruit)  tomato growers are expecting to get from each their plants this season.
 For the first time I am growing in an unheated greenhouse . Have 2 types; Roma (supposed to be the best cooking tomato) and Moneymaker (because they are supposed to be reliable) what quantity should I expect to get from each plant? - have 10 of each. In previous years I have always grown outside and have been hit by Blight so I am keen to make the most of my indoor Toms!
My plants were grown from seed and planted into beds  in the 2nd week of May. The ground was  treated to a hefty amount of well rotted horse manure laced with chicken pellets 6 weeks prior to planting, watered  each week and covered with black plastic to encourage warmth.

I intend to start feeding when the first fruits have set to give them the best possible chance - have got some organic tomato food ready for the little darlings- does anyone think it makes a difference compared to the normal Tomorite?
In addition to the Tomatoes I have managed to squeeze in some Chilli plants (x4) and a cucumber into the greenhouse, can they be fed the same as the tomatoes?

All suggestions greatly received

Mixdiver
Digging away to keep the weight down!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomato crop expected
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:15 »
I've never weighed my harvest so couldn't tell you what the yield are..sorry.
But if you have well fertilised your bed as much as you say, IMO you wouldn't need extra feeding............at least not till towards the end of the growing season.
The plants suffer from overfeeding just as much as they would from under feeding.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 12:23 »
I grow a total of 12 plants in an unheated greenhouse, this keeps my family of 4 well supplied until about Oct, also with any glut (which you will get with 20 plants) frozen and used for soup and in chilli’s etc, in fact I still have some frozen ones left.
Paul

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 12:47 »
10 toms in the main greenhouse, 5 shirley and 5 golden sunrise, keeps going through to Oct (weather dependent), the glut we will cook into sauces and oven dry for the winter months. never weighed, why complicate life!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

lightyears

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 13:51 »
ive got 6 elegance grafted toms in my tunnel which are growing at a stupid rate at the moment. The stuff from dobbies says i can expect a crop 50% larger than usual. At the moment i dont think its lying either, the plants are growing at probably 1ft every 3 days. MAD!

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 22:41 »
I think each plant gives a decent yield but saying that last year was a near disaster with blight for my toms (and everyone else's on the allotment).

But I did get quite few tomatoes from some of the plants: many of which I roasted overnight in the oven on very low temp (with salt, sugar and a bit of basil over the cut halves- best way to preserve them IMHO).  And froze others whole which I am still using in sauces and the like.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

xx
My tomato crop

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 20:44
by JaneS
xx
Tomato crop

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 15:14
by compostqueen
xx
planting main crop potatoes in same place as finished early crop?

Started by aejonm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 11:41
by al78
xx
rich tomato, poor tomato

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 20:03
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 37 queries.