clearing weeds advice?

• 8 Replies

dan808

clearing weeds advice?
« on: June 01, 2013, 12:47 »
Hey guys I have a lot of thistles dandelions and buttercup on my plot.  I've cut them down close to the ground and layered newspaper and then black plastic down and the plan was to get it ploughed and rotovate  it come april next year will I have left it long enough to kill them off or would I be encouraging new growth next year.
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.  :-) :-)

dan808

Re: clearing weeds advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 12:49 »
And Ill be taking any weeds out that I see ::)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 13:26 »
We blacked ours as we dug the weeds out, some people re-black once dug but we tended to plant straight away so it felt like we were getting stuff done. One portion of dads has been blacked since last november while we do the rest and some weeds still ain't dead. Roundup just seemed to make them greener.  :ohmy:

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 13:29 »
I always use round up and add loads of compost to your beds. If you dont get rid of or kill root and you rotavate will only get worse.
Kind Regards
Bill

cadalot

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 13:47 »
My brother in law and I both got plots at the same time, he rotavated and then weeded, I hand dug and weeded and he is fighting far more weeds than I am. I'm really glad I did because the short cut of using a rotavator  creates more work in the long run.

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 09:46 »
i first hoe out surface stuff, collect and burn. then i cover with plack plastic and let it bake for some time....every couple of weeks i dig it up a bit and cover again...

Stree

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 09:50 »
Only way is to hand dig with a fork and get the roots out. If you rotovate you will see just how well these things propagate from the tiniest root section. You will have the original weeds multiplied in the hundreds.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 12:43 »
If you don't want to use Roundup, then dig up as much as you can with a garden fork. I'd then leave it for a bit as you will have all their seeds just waiting to germinate and, when they start to come through, then you cover the area. J_B and Strees' advice (amongst others) is "bob on" and, if you leave even a tiny bit of dandelion root, it will re-grow, believe me!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snow white

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 13:24 »
I roughly dug over then left for a month, then got a fork in to break the soil down and pulled out the weeds then, when the soil was loose.  Now once a week all I have to do is pull the odd weed out which comes out easily and quickly.  I used to hoe but found that weeds come back so now I get down on my hands and knees and weed.  My plot doesn't have too many weeds now and I have only had it six months.

xx
Clearing the plot - what to do with those weeds?

Started by Green Finger on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 10, 2015, 22:01
by Green Finger
xx
clearing weeds before winter?

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 23, 2012, 19:58
by Yorkie
xx
What do you do after clearing a plot of weeds when it's the end of May?

Started by lemonstar on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2018, 12:44
by DHM
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 38 queries.