Internal Window Cleaning ?

• 9 Replies

mrs bouquet

Internal Window Cleaning ?
« on: January 16, 2020, 11:07 »
I cannot put it off any longer - but what is the best way ?    I have a large patio door, with side windows, which are absolutely filthy.    Every time I do this chore (which isn't often).  I think there must be an easier way !!
Last time I laid an old sheet along the bottom, over the carpet.   Then used hot water with a drop of white vinegar in, then a blade, then newspaper.   I still had to go back to smears over several days.   
Other than getting somebody else to do it -  Any help or better ideas please ?      Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

Re: Internal Window Cleaning ?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 13:57 »
Get a bucket of hot water, a kitchen sponge, spray some "Cillit Bang" de-greaser on your sponge then wipe over your window glass then leave to dry. Do this again until they are streak-free.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 14:27 »
I cannot put it off any longer - but what is the best way ?    I have a large patio door, with side windows, which are absolutely filthy.    Every time I do this chore (which isn't often).  I think there must be an easier way !!
Last time I laid an old sheet along the bottom, over the carpet.   Then used hot water with a drop of white vinegar in, then a blade, then newspaper.   I still had to go back to smears over several days.   
Other than getting somebody else to do it -  Any help or better ideas please ?      Mrs Bouquet

If you stop smearing your face and wiping your nose over the glass that'll keep it smearing up.
Why does newspaper work? I'd imagine the ink would dissolve into the moisture and cause it to go nasty. Cloudy days apparently make them smear. Could it be humidity related?

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 22:14 »
Have ago with  te@@o shower shinejust spray it on and leave it ,we have a double shower so two large
sheets of glass, i just spray the lot mixer taps pipe to the shower head and hand held shower {all chrome}
and when dry looks brand new just like when i fitted it,

Another Tip ,,,When the tile grout starts to go black and it does,, in my last 25 years working in all types
of homes from posh to dives it was all ways the same, let the grout dry right out {baths / showers } mix
3 parts thick bleach 1 part warm water stir mix  do not shake  it just goes to frothy then in a jug pour bleach into a used up washing bottle, then pour from the top and let the bleach run down the joints and across leave overnight leave the window open a tad as it will get a bit fumey you might have to do it again
depends but make sure the grout is dry first,
Colin

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 22:59 »
1. Newspaper does work - don't know why.

2. Karcher or similar window vac.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 06:40 »
WD40 is apparently a great cleaner - you wouldn't need much if you use a decent 'J' cloth or similar!

lettice

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 07:10 »
For many years have used a homemade cleaner.
1 cup of water, 1 cup white vinegar, a teaspoon of wd40 (or something similar alcohol based) and a teaspoon of washing up liquid.
Mix well.
Use a spray bottle and use a glass micro fibre cloth and they will be lovely and clean and streak free with very little effort.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:28 by lettice »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 10:10 »
Best done in 2 stages, especially if (ahem!) you haven't cleaned them for a while.

Small squirt of washing up liquid in warm water, clean off dirt, leave until nearly dry, dry/polish off with a wodge of kitchen paper (you could use a microfibre cloth but kitchen paper works more reliably for me.)

Only use enough detergent to cut through any grease otherwise the detergent itself will leave smears.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jezza

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 12:03 »
Hello you'll have to get some windows like the ones in a house up the road from me they pivot in the middle the window cleaner does the outside the house owner presses a button they spin round window cleaner does other side  jezza

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 23:31 »
Hello you'll have to get some windows like the ones in a house up the road from me they pivot in the middle the window cleaner does the outside the house owner presses a button they spin round window cleaner does other side  jezza
      I once asked a local window cleaner if he could give me a quote for cleaning my Windows as I felt sorry for hubby spending so much time on them. He apologised and told me there were too many Windows and he wasn't interested.  :ohmy:

clip
Maximising window space

Started by hasbeans on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post March 05, 2021, 20:31
by Yorkie
xx
cleaning out the freezer

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post January 03, 2023, 20:35
by John
xx
Disk cleaning

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post March 17, 2020, 16:34
by MarkC
xx
Cleaning windows...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

21 Replies
Last post November 02, 2021, 13:01
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 47 queries.