Roma - pinching out?

• 4 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

Roma - pinching out?
« on: January 28, 2009, 12:29 »
I have some Roma seed i'd like to try out. Some sites suggest pinching out, others say not.
I also found on an American site that you should 
"Step7 Place a paper collar around each plant to deter cutworms, and cover the plants with cloches or floating row covers to protect them from insects and cool temperatures. "
I've never heard of this - bad enough having to do it to the bloomin ' cabbages - PLEASE tell me it's not necessary with toms as well!!
So - pinching out yes or no?

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Re: Roma - pinching out?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 13:02 »
Weel Roma are a bush tomato so no don't pinch out let them grow To be honest I've only ever grow these in a green house but should be ok in sheltered spot outside . USA always over cautious  Bit of fleece early on but should be Ok in summer.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

garddwr

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 17:10 »
Weel Roma are a bush tomato so no don't pinch out let them grow To be honest I've only ever grow these in a green house but should be ok in sheltered spot outside . USA always over cautious  Bit of fleece early on but should be Ok in summer.

I have some to try. Do they take over a bit in the greenhouse ?  This is what I heard but I think I'll try them anyway as I never succeed with outdoor toms  :(

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 17:23 »
I grow Romas from time to time and rarely bother to pinch out the suckers (too much work) but later in the summer I will pinch out excess leaves on the bottom halves of the plants, partly so the toms can get sun to ripen and partly to minimize any potential mold/fungus problems from dampness.
We do get cutworms here, not sure if in the UK, but all I do is place a piece of twig immediately beside the tom stem and this makes it too big for the cutworms to wrap themselves totally around so they can start chewing. If they can't wrap head to tail, they can't chew. Fleece early in the season is good for outside growing in case any late frosts show up and also keep toms a bit warmer. Not needed in a greenhouse. For greenhouse growing, romas are unlikely to take over as they're a determinate (limited size) plant.

coatesi

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 07:03 »
I grow mine in a 450mm tube of reinforcing mesh as used when laying concrete. This stops them laying all over the place and the gaps in the mesh leaves you enough room to reach the toms.
coatesi
A man that gives up a freedom for the sake of security deserves niether.
 Abraham Lincoln.

xx
pinching out toms - which stems need pinching?

Started by Deano27 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 13:26
by DD.
xx
roma tomatoes

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 02:54
by sclarke624
clip
Roma tomatoes

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post July 14, 2020, 21:56
by Yorkie
xx
Roma Tomatoes

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 15:06
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 38 queries.