another question

• 4 Replies

crowndale

another question
« on: May 31, 2012, 08:25 »
I know we have a lot foxes round here, i've seen tehm aorund and see the evidence in my garden periodically (poop and animal remains that my cats would never catch!!).  so any chicklets would need a lot of protection.  are the wire fringes that can go under the run and stick out along the edge on the ground sufficient or is it better to dig the wire into the ground like a fence so they can dig but not get through?  and if the latter how deep should the wire fencing go down?
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: another question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 08:52 »
we are in the process of putting up a run after suffering a third mink attack (plus to stop my puppy attacking the hens) and will be digging the wire down into the ground by 12 - 18 inches. I used to have an eglu with a run attached which had a skirt but I found rats could still get into the run by digging outside the skirt and tunnelling under.
Staffies are softer than you think.

crowndale

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 15:22 »
hadn't even considered the rat problem, digging it in it is then!!  have to buy the pen first though!

grinling

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 16:52 »
I dug a deep trough around the run area and used long timber as the uprights. You can use weldmesh (most recommend) or chicken wire and  lie it horizontal in the trough and up the stakes. Secure it with u shaped nails. Overlap the layer above, secure the mesh with wire ties. My main run is roofed, the outer run has pea netting, but no foxes. Also used polytunnel plastic around half the main area to help keep it dry; 1/4 is attched to shed.

crowndale

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 18:20 »
i'm looking to get covered (wire) pen with a high house for shelter from sun (plus shade from shed) but am not that talented diy wise so will be forking out for a pre made one.  would just take too long to make one myself, i'd be 90 before it was done, (which owuld be fine if i was 89 now!!).  but have some weld mesh in the garage and can manage to dig that in and tie it on!

xx
poo cleaning...a how to question??? oh, and another smaller question

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 14:40
by hillfooter
xx
hello Im new and have a question

Started by suedavies0117 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 13:04
by raeburg
xx
another question

Started by brookegard on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 11:08
by brookegard
xx
question

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 11:18
by violet

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 40 queries.