Hen poo into compost

• 13 Replies

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Hen poo into compost
« on: November 18, 2011, 07:45 »
My hen produces poo by the ton.  Having a small garden with so very few grass clippings in summer only and very little organic kitchen waste I've never composted before.

I dispose of poo and newspaper all the time into my wheelie bin and this seems such a waste. 

I'd like to have some kind of 'bin' to place the poo into rather than throw it away...

Is there a practical solution for a possible composting set-up?

Kate
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hen poo into compost
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:53 »
yes, chicken pooh is great for composting (it can be too strong to use straight away but fine when composting) - just look in any garden shop and you will find processed chicken pooh pellets  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

freebirdy

• I'd rather be insane than boring!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:47 »
I collect all the poop deposited by my girls and boy in a bucket with a lid on and once I have a bucket full I take it down my allotment and pop the lot in my compost bin. You can add the bedding from your hen house, shredded paper and any (non meat) food scraps you have and compost the lot! Chook poop composts down very well and reletavely quickly and you will end up with super rich compost to use in your garden. Your palnts will certainly love the rich organic matter! Definately don't throw it away - you chooks are providing you with a lovely by-product as well as eggs! Good girls!!  :D
1 fiance, 3 kids, 1 fish, 1 cat, 9 poland bantams, 6 Barbu de Watermael, 2 allotment plots and not enough time!

kegs

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 09:32 »
Most councils offer residents the chance to buy the dalek type compost bins at reduced rates. 

http://www.hants.getcomposting.com/

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:55 »
Thank you all!
That link is wonderful - love the cute little compostors.  I have only poo and newspaper/bedding to contrubute.  Hoping this is doable.... more research...
I'll be back if stuck.

Kate

kegs

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 11:19 »
You'll be surprised how much you can put in once you start.  Grass, cuttings, fallen leaves, tea bags, coffee grinds, eggs shells, peelings, newspaper.... before you know it you'll be ordering a second compost bin because the first one is full !!! (I'm up to 5 (all full!)  :blink: )

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 13:02 »
I'm interested in doing this too particularly as the local council now only do rubbish pick ups once a fortnight.

I think I read somewhere that it takes about 3 months to break down into useable compost is this about right?
Helen

kegs

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 13:15 »
When I remember I use something similar to this which is meant to make compost in half the time.

http://www.cbc.getcomposting.com/Shop/Accessories/BIOT5010_Compost_Maker,_All_Purpose,_500ml.html

This site is via my council but if you use this link and enter your own post code it will cover your region.

http://www.getcomposting.com/

and this site explains how to make good compost
http://www.keeping-chickens.co.uk/chicken-manure-compost-bin/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 14:32 by kegs »

helens-hens

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 14:12 »
Thanks for the info Kegs. Do you / others use chicken dropping based compost when growing fruit / vegatables. I was thinking back to the eColi breakout in Germany earlier this year.

I did a search in the growing your own section of this site and found a link http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09369.html which indicated that you have to be very careful that it is properly composted. In the manure management section of the article (hope everybody has had their lunch!) it suggests how this can be ensured but the process seems to take 2 to 4 months.

It has to be said that I am not much of a gardener but I do try and grow tomatoes, runner beans, potatoes and cucumbers (with varying degrees of success  ::)) each year so I wouldn't want to take any risks!

Daisyd0g

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 16:43 »
You'll be surprised how much you can put in once you start.  Grass, cuttings, fallen leaves, tea bags, coffee grinds, eggs shells, peelings, newspaper.... before you know it you'll be ordering a second compost bin because the first one is full !!! (I'm up to 5 (all full!)  :blink: )

I built a compost box this year and am so shocked at how much I put in there.. everything as above and also the contents of my vacumm, ash from the fire, lint from the drier etc.. and YES now chicken poop and the shavings! I can't wait to see what is at the bottom come spring!

I also am shocked at how much my garbage has decreased and am embarrassed at how much I used to throw away that was compostible!!

Ohhhh and we all have the BEST compost accelerator absolutely FREE!!!! Urine!! seriously FULL of nitrogen and a great compost mover!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 16:45 by Daisyd0g »
1 hubby, 2 dogs, 4 chooks... and want MORE!!

Daisy - Catahoula Leopard Dog,
Tilly - English Springer Spainel

Tittie - RIR, Babs- Silver Laced Wayndotte, Bunty - Barred Rock, Ginger - Gold Laced Wayndotte.

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 18:49 »
I hope it's just wood ash that you're using and not coal, I don't know what the consequences are, but everything I have read tells you not to use coal ash!!!

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 19:51 »
I hope it's just wood ash that you're using and not coal, I don't know what the consequences are, but everything I have read tells you not to use coal ash!!!
Why not coal ash? When I was a kid everyone put it on the gardens,now we all have massive gas bills and run the risk of getting cancer if we eat the wrong type of meat on the wrong day of the month!! Not sure about the science bit but surely it's just carbon residue just like wood? After all coal was once wood?   ???

Daisyd0g

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 20:15 »

It is just wood ash, I wouldn't know about coal, but as a kid growing up we burnt coal in the aga and that got thrown out in the garden!! I'm not dead yet!!!

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 20:42 »
Just had a little surf and apparently coal ash contains to much sulpher - which will have detrimental affect on your soil!!!

http://www.composting101.com/what-to-use.html

xx
compost

Started by cejx on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 15:29
by Dominic
xx
Hello and is compost ok?

Started by caroline or on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 17:43
by Sassy
xx
Chicken and compost ????

Started by nuttymama on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 10:28
by Nellies
xx
Chicken poo/compost?

Started by justin hender on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 22:59
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 40 queries.