Worried Owner

• 13 Replies
Worried Owner
« on: November 15, 2011, 19:08 »
Hi all, new to the site and fairly new to keeping chucks. Got a pen (which I have extended) and 3 birds about 7 month ago. We upped this to 5 after 2 month.I lost one, a marran about 2 month after getting them and just lost another today a rhode rock. Both had the same symptoms- drinking lots,not eating,lathargic, mucky bums and finally death. I feed them layers pellets with plenty of fresh water and they get a corn mix as a treat aswell as any scraps of veg,i also put apple cider vinegar in the water once a week. I clean them out once a week and bed up with fresh sawdust/straw. The eggs we get are great although they have stopped now which I know is normal. The pen is dusted every week with diatom and I put some in the food for worm treatment. No signs of mites etc. Any suggestions as to cause of death and prevention would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

kegs

Re: Worried Owner
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 19:46 »
Hi and welcome to a brilliant site.  I'm not an expert so someone will be along with more ideas shortly.

A few questions though.  Did you get them all from the same breeder/supplier?  Did their other chickens look healthy?  Had they been given vaccinations before you bought them?    How did you test for mites?  It would be better to treat them for worms with Flubenvet rather than Diatom and their is plenty of info on this site if you type Flubenvet into the search.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 19:53 »
If you have not wormed them with flubenvet in the 7 months you have had them that could be all or part of your problem.  You should hopefully still be getting eggs this time of the year, less regularly though.  If the hens are moulting you may not get any eggs, one of ours is not laying due to moult but the others are not moulting as much and are still laying.  Worm your hens every 3 months and keep an eye out for worms in their poo which is a sign of a bad infestation. 
As kegs said you will get more help but you are best worming sooner rather than later.

Welcome to the site.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 20:28 »
I was told by the breeder I got them off that diatom would work as a wormer. All the chucks are from the same breeder. She sold me some organic tonic for £17.00 and told me that would cure them but it just stunk of garlic (and I am a garlic lover). I will invest in some correct wormer tommorow and thanks everyone for the advice.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 20:38 »
Not sure if you can get it where you are, but you can get some feeds with flubenvet in them.  Otherwise, pots of the medication are available 'over-the-counter' from licensed places, but remember it only has a shelf life of 3 months  ;)
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 22:36 »
I didn't know that! I'm still using the large pot I got 2 years ago!!!
Seems to work.....?

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 08:15 »
Hi,
I do not know why your chooks died, you seem to be doing everything just rwight.  You say you are using Diatom as a wormer, that is fine but I would still recommend you worm with a propper wormer. Flubenvet is one of the better ones, the Diatom is more of a deterrent than a treatment  :)

I am sure some of the others will have some suggestions as to what the deaths could be down to  :unsure:

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 10:21 »
Seems to work.....?

I'm part of a smallholders group, and we have guest speakers in.  We recently had a person from Marriages in, and he said that the shelf life is very short- about 3 months.  I don't think it will harm them, but none of us could believe that it is not well known- we all asumed, liek you, that it was good until it was gone!  Is there a use-by on the pot?  I can't seem to find much info about it online either  ???

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 13:31 »
Seems to work.....?

I'm part of a smallholders group, and we have guest speakers in.  We recently had a person from Marriages in, and he said that the shelf life is very short- about 3 months.  I don't think it will harm them, but none of us could believe that it is not well known- we all asumed, liek you, that it was good until it was gone!  Is there a use-by on the pot?  I can't seem to find much info about it online either  ???

I think that you might have misunderstood what the person Marriages meant either that or misinformed.  They were probably referring to the layers pellets containing flubenvet as they like normal layers pellets have a short shelf life due to the loss of nutrients.  I bought Flubenvet 1% powder this year and it has an expiry date of 02/2015, there is no notice of disposing of after 3 months of opening.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 13:39 »
also once opened a sack can get damp and go mouldy whereas a tub of flubenvet once closed won't.
Staffies are softer than you think.

helens-hens

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 13:52 »
I bought a tub of Flubenvet 1% in July 2010. A year on, despite regular worming the girls developed quite a heavy infestination (worms visible in droppings  :ohmy:). I wormed them for a couple of days longer than normally suggested as they appeared to be carrying quite a few and it certainly still worked.

Be careful to keep it in cool dry conditions as you would most other medications.
Helen

mr.mellow

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 16:57 »
I have a 60g tub of Flubenvet that I have had since I started keeping chickens, the expiry Date is 10/2012 .

viettaclark

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 01:26 »
Just checked mine and it's 2013. I bought it 3 years ago and I'll get a couple more years.....Phew!!

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 19:41 »
Thanks for all the advice folks. Today I moved the house/ run to a clean area, picking up some wormer tommorow morning. I will not be getting any more chucks from the usual breeder as after reading/researching on this forum and other sites everything she has told me has been profit related!! We live and learn! Thanks.

xx
New Hen Owner

Started by bluelou on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 22:27
by rachelr
smiley
New Chicken Owner - I need help

Started by tobert51 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 06, 2011, 21:50
by joyfull
xx
New chook owner!!

Started by poohbabyxx on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 16:44
by Axe
xx
Advice please - new owner

Started by Tosca on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 16:03
by Sassy

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 40 queries.