I'm new. One question

• 12 Replies

kuftram

I'm new. One question
« on: April 17, 2010, 16:30 »
I've made Duckingham Palace for 2 bantams. For water a pond I've used a plastic garden pond and kept it above ground. The wood ramps I built have rotted very quickly. I'd like to find two plastic ramps. Is there such a thing?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: I'm new. One question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 17:02 »
hello and welcome kuftram :)

I'll move this question over to the Hen House where more people might find it.
Why don't you pop back to 'welcome' and tell us a bit about yourself

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 17:08 »
I am a little bit puzzled. You say you've got two bantams (bantams are either a smaller version of a large fowl or a true bantam which has no large fowl equivelent) so why do they need a pond? What breed of bird are they - duck or bantam?
Hello by the way  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

kuftram

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 17:53 »
I am a little bit puzzled. You say you've got two bantams (bantams are either a smaller version of a large fowl or a true bantam which has no large fowl equivelent) so why do they need a pond? What breed of bird are they - duck or bantam?
Hello by the way  :)

Hello. they are two bantam ducks I inherited unwittingly. I built an enclosure but felt sorry that they had no water to get into (I'm not an expert but I just thought that ducks need to be in water). I bought a 3 ft. diameter plastic pond. I drain it and refill it weekly. To do so it was easier to keep the pond above ground but that required 2 ramps. The pond is about 16 inches high. 2 ramps are needed because they go halfway down aand then turn 90 degrees to go the rest of the way because of space limitations. I made a wood box to serve as a platform for the turn. It has all rotted in just under 2 years so I'm hoping to replace with plastic. Any advice is appreciated by me and ducks.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 18:15 »
could you not make steps out of bricks or breeze blocks? these would be a lot more waterproof  :)
Do you think you could post a photo of your ducks for us all to see  :D

kuftram

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 20:51 »
could you not make steps out of bricks or breeze blocks? these would be a lot more waterproof  :)
Do you think you could post a photo of your ducks for us all to see  :D

An idea, but I clean the run weekly a spray the duck debris off the stone slabs I have at the near end. Moving a bunch of bricks to do that is a bit like work. Thanks for the suggestion, tho. A breezeblock may be a good idea for the turning platform. Ideally, I want something that is 3 parts that I can remove in seconds.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 20:57 »
You can get skate ramps that are plastic and come to about the height of hard plastic pools - check out Argos. I too have this problem, a few bricks for steps is the most lasting way to do it, I just dust over with stalosan over night then wash down in the morning every two weeks or so to keep the area around the ponds clean  :)

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 22:17 »
You can get pre-formed water-falls, could they be used in some way???? Just a thought :blush:

C X
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

kuftram

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 23:04 »
You can get pre-formed water-falls, could they be used in some way???? Just a thought :blush:

C X

Huh? You mean like water feature waterfalls? Hmmm..

kuftram

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 23:05 »
You can get skate ramps that are plastic and come to about the height of hard plastic pools - check out Argos. I too have this problem, a few bricks for steps is the most lasting way to do it, I just dust over with stalosan over night then wash down in the morning every two weeks or so to keep the area around the ponds clean  :)

Now there is an idea. Thank you

TeaPots

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 10:41 »
car ramps might work too?

kuftram

Re: I'm new. One question-- and the winner is...!!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 12:22 »

Now there is an idea. Thank you

This was a great suggestion. in the end I bought a Rampage Connector Bridge. The ramps themselves were too long and had no overlapping lip on the top. The bridge had the lip on each end. I deftly cut the bridge in to a ramp and the angle created made the lip fit perfectly. Everyone is happy! Thank you!!

DuckRamp2.jpg

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 14:04 »
Glad you have sorted it out.  :D

Looks like you might have an East Indies duck there. They are a bantam breed of duck.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
poo cleaning...a how to question??? oh, and another smaller question

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 14:40
by hillfooter
xx
another question

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 18:20
by crowndale
xx
Question

Started by bally on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 26, 2008, 19:46
by richyrich7
xx
A different question??

Started by Andy J on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 08:42
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 37 queries.