Perching.

• 12 Replies

cheshirecat

Perching.
« on: September 23, 2009, 20:52 »
Advice please.  I have 7 girls, their night coop is about a metre square, with 1 perch which they all go on at night.  I have just read somewhere that they should ideally have about 18" of perch each to roost on.  Do I need to provide another perch? Ta muchly. :)
Max.

grumpydad

Re: Perching.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 20:55 »
full size chickens should have about 9" of perch space, bantams less, they will all perch together.

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 22:45 »
Sounds like you need another perch. :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 06:44 »
I would suggest you get a bigger coop. When the nights draw in they will be in there from half four in the afternoon till 8 in the morning.  Not enough space.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

cheshirecat

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 09:35 »
Hi there, thank you for replies to my post.  Yes, I know I need a bigger coop.  I did only plan to have 4 chicks but then took 3 more off someone getting rid!  Will try and remedy perch problem.  However, I just cannot afford a new coop at moment, was hoping to get over winter and then sort it.  I am looking at how I can possibly make some adjustment to my present homemade coop if I can find some help.  Will do my best to improve matters as soon as I can.  At moment my girls do seem to be happy, am getting an egg a day from each but appreciate what you say bout darker nights. :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 15:18 »
Its all about the welfare of your animals if you can not house them properly they you should reduce your flock.  Then once you have the time and funds you can expand.  As I said in my earlyier post they will be in there for 16 hrs a day.  

Battery hens may have more space.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 15:26 by Roughlee Handled »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 15:26 »
I know nout about wooden coops but my eglu is about a squ metre and I would only keep a max of 3 hens in it.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 15:33 »
I know what you mean Roughlee, but DEFRA says at least 1sq ft per bird in the coop, and also, once the days get shorter, they also get darker, so the birds will be asleep most of that time.  (that is if we are taking coop to mean their house, not their run??)

Cheshirecat, I know where you are coming from with regards to finances, shame you are not nearer to us, as my Brian could extend the coop a bit for you, which is cheaper than buying a new bigger one.

How's your DIY skills?  Some of the ladies on here, knew nothing about DIY, but have made themselves lovely coops and runs.  How about having a go at extending it yourself?

How big is their run?

dizzylizzie

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 16:22 »
Grannie its a loooooonnnngggggg time since anyone has called me a lady :D
Cheshire cat, you really do need to do something about their space. See if you can pick up some pallets and use that wood to extend it. its not as hard as it looks, if i can do it anyone can. good luck  :D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 17:16 by dizzylizzie »

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 19:52 »
We keep ours in a 4x6ft shed. We got it free from a friend and there are atually more sheds up for grabs on "Freecycle sites" than there are chicken coops. I think I may also be right in saying that a brand new small shed is often cheaper than a lot of hen houses!  Of course, you may not have the room, but just sharing a thought.  :)

Colette
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

cheshirecat

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 22:44 »
Thanks to you all.  Grannie, my girls free range the full daylight hours in part of my garden, I would say an area of about 20 ft by 10 ft.  There is also a covered run leading from the coop into the ranging area and the girls have access to this in bad weather.  I do have a garden shed in an area adjoining I may have to try and see if I can house them in there.  Have to get my thinking cap on! :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 23:01 »
I hope it goes well for your girls cheshirecat!  It's amazing what you can come up with when you put your thinking cap on!!!   :)

Oliveview

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 10:45 »
Our girls have 2 large square perches, with 4 perches on each-  they still prefer to all squash up on one though ??? 
Pamela

xx
Perching help please?

Started by flangey on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 18:49
by SMD66
xx
Not perching?

Started by darcyhen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 18:49
by Tiggersmate
xx
perching

Started by jackb256 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 15:33
by knittywittywoo
xx
Perching

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 09:18
by Casey76

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 34 queries.