turken

• 2 Replies

devilzkiller

turken
« on: February 19, 2009, 12:14 »
i have a buff  cochin and turken hen when will buff cochin hen ..will become broody means after laying how many eggs and should i leave her eggs in her nest or pick them up untill she will go broody

Vember

Re: turken
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 14:03 »
Hi devilzkiller

Welcome to the Hen House :D

I have tried leaving eggs in the nests to encourage broodiness but to be honest I'm unsure as to if it worked or not ???
I still leave 3 eggs in the nest just in case :lol:

I think the girls will just go broody as and when they want and not all of them do.
I have some Buff Orpingtons, 3 of which are sisters two went broody last year one did a great job and reared 4 Guinea Fowl the other gave up once the eggs hatched :(
In my opinion it's down to the individual bird :)

Sarah :)

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
Re: turken
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 04:44 »
Actually I think that you will find that the Naked Neck (Turken) will make a better broody then the Cochin will. It has been my experiance too that if you keep the eggs picked up then the NNs won't go broody. And no matter how friendly she is once she has chicks under her don't reach for them for a while, they fiercely protect their offspring while they are very young. After a week or so I can pick them up. A good sized NN hen can cover up to ten eggs and will hatch and raise them all.

Cochins are famous for their broodiness and can cover a slightly larger clutch of eggs.  As Vember said a few fooler eggs in the nest will put a hen in the mood to set a nest without the risk of an egg going off while she decides to raise a family.

If they are in with other hens it is also best to seperate them as well. The other hens may keep adding to the nest and if she tries to cover too many the ones on the outside will chill and die. Since the hen will rotate the eggs eventually all eggs will die as they take their turn on the outside of the nest.

Also keep food and water away from the nest as this will encourage the hen to get off the nest for excercise and to just take care of business. I usually have the feed and water about 10 feet from the nest.

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 35 queries.