Loving my hens

• 4 Replies

em&hens

Loving my hens
« on: August 03, 2008, 11:35 »
Hello everyone

I've had my chooks for 2 weeks, although after 1 week i lost penny (she was dead when i went to them in morning :cry: ) Daphne and bookie are doing great and love the run of my garden!!!!! they lay 6 out of 7 days it seems at mo and they are soooooo yummy  :D

They really are becoming great pets and have started following me around the garden or coming to the back door and sitting on the mat...ahh!

My 15 month old girl Darcey loves them, she's not walking yet so the chooks aren't being chased just yet ha ha!!

My cat just sits there with them on the decking with no fuss made......oh what a life..........as homemade bread is ready i sit and join them thinking this is great  :D

Hmmmmmm! then i look at all that poop ha ha...I have put a fence up so to give them a good slice of the garden and to keep some clean........but i underestimated the simply fact that they are BIRDS!!!! so they just fly over!!      Mmmm..plan B needed and help with a better fence!!

Emma

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
Loving my hens
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 23:17 »
hi emma welcome dont think ive met you yet.  :)

sounds like a great time is being had by all.

FCG

Loving my hens
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 00:12 »
Granny will probably pop along with her very instructing picture she has on cutting the flight feathers of chickens. Good luck with them Emma, sounds like you are having all the highs and lows of chicken keeping. How'd you manage to get them to follow you around? Mine haven't started doing that yet, I'm worried they where too old when I got them and won't 'imprint' on me.

em&hens

Loving my hens
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 06:28 »
My chooks love cooked spagetti pasta, i guess it's just like wiggle worms, they go mad for it, when i shake it in my hand they come running, i use it to get them where i need them too (very useful).

i've been thinking about improving the fence but yes a bit of feather clipping should do the trick too eh!! :)

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
Loving my hens
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 09:59 »
Hi Em,

I don't know if i've been on here long enough to say welcome as I have only just got here myself, but hello anyway!

I'm also loving my ladies, my 2 boys Finn 6 and jacob 5 adore them too, they do most of the looking after of them!  I was slightly worried that they would chase them and squirt them with water pistols etc but infact it's the reverse, it seems the chickens have cast a calming influence on the hooligans my boys usually are!  So I doubt you'll have any worries with your little 1.

C. x
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

xx
Girls are loving the rain

Started by gracie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 06:45
by bood77
xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 28 queries.