New to Chicken keeping!

• 8 Replies

violet

• Experienced Member
New to Chicken keeping!
« on: February 02, 2008, 10:34 »
Hello....I am new this morning, this looks like just the sort of site I need!  We have recently moved to a house with a very, very large garden, so at last we can have chickens....just as pets and for eggs, not grand scale farming! Also going to do vegetables, but that is a different issue.

So.....HELP....at the moment looking round to see what kind of housing I need. The part of the garden where the chickens will live has a 6ft chain link fence around it with 6ft high secure gates, but I would still want a run attatched to the hen house.

There are many houses for sale and what I realy want to know is what type NOT to buy?????

babe

• elvis king of chooks
New to Chicken keeping!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 15:47 »
hi violet, it will all depend on the type of chooks you are thinking of, how many, if foxes may prove a problem, your budget.

have a good snout around the hen house here, it may help in giving you a better idea of what you fancy, then you can be more specific about your needs.

cluckingmad

Re: New to Chicken keeping!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 16:42 »
Quote from: "violet"
...at the moment looking round to see what kind of housing I need. The part of the garden where the chickens will live has a 6ft chain link fence around it with 6ft high secure gates, but I would still want a run attatched to the hen house.

There are many houses for sale and what I realy want to know is what type NOT to buy?????

Hi Violet and welcome :)   Personally, I would not buy an ark coop and run.  Especially if you want the chickens kept in the run as they don't seem to have enough room to spread their wings abit!  I suppose it also depends on how many you want to keep too.
Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty minutes.  No reward is offered for they are gone forever. (Horace Mann)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
New to Chicken keeping!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 17:21 »
Some people start off with just a garden shed and put a pop hole in (little door just for the chooks!) and some nest boxes, although I have seen pictures of someoe who put a shelf in the shed and filled cat litter type trays with straw and the chooks used that for nesting in!

Make the run as large as you can spare.  The chooks love to spread their wings!!!

Whereabouts are you in south Yorks?  I'm delivering some 21 week old poin of lay hens to a couple of yorkshire based ladies very soon.  they are going to meet me south of the bridge at Barton Upon Humber!

Here's some pics of my girls if you are interested.
All the white ones are the Amberinks

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l33/grannieannie_2006/Chooks/

violet

• Experienced Member
New to Chicken keeping!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 19:28 »
Thank you for replies...I  live in Doncaster.

I intend to keep 4 girlies at first ....but I am sure the number will grow.  We have lots of space so I was thinking about a square/oblong shape house tather than an ark shape.  they will have a large run, but they will be allowed to roam around the garden for most of the day... how easy is it to round them up whan they need to be shut away????

I am not sure of our fox situation....I would think that we have some but I have seen neither fox or evidence.

We do have a sparrow hawk though and I have seen it with a pigeon...will he be a risk?

Do ducks and chickens enjoy each others company as the idea of a couple of ducks appeals....I do not like duck eggs but I am sure somebody around here will!

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
New to Chicken keeping!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 17:31 »
We find our chickens are very good at putting themselves to bed - with the exception of our sultan who occassionally gets lost as she cant see through her hair do. Our allotment chicken packed up at 4pm today as they didint like the wind!

Foxy

New to Chicken keeping!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 20:18 »
I would avoid those which only have access through the top, back breaking work cleaning!
This is a very lovely house made by Gavin - he has made one for me and it is excellent quality, its 2'X3' excuding nestbox. Cost £130. A fair price I think. He can make any size or shape too plus runs. I like the fact is has a nice big front door for cleaning and very secure pophole. He can make them flat packed to post - he is based nr Glos. He also breed the most beautiful birds all shapes and sizes!!

http://www.pekinbantams.com/community/link.php?url=http://upload7.postimage.org/465435/photo_hosting.html

Fat Hen

New to Chicken keeping!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 21:24 »
with the exception of our sultan who occassionally gets lost as she cant see through her hair do

He He :!:  :lol:   I trim the pom pom on my Sultan occasionally.  I think I'm doing her a favour, allowing her to see food & where she's going.

Pah :!:   doesn't make a blind bit of difference, I reckon she's just dim. :lol:

As in dim but very nice, she's a love. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
New to Chicken keeping!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 21:45 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
Whereabouts are you in south Yorks?  I'm delivering some 21 week old poin of lay hens to a couple of yorkshire based ladies very soon.  they are going to meet me south of the bridge at Barton Upon Humber!

Here's some pics of my girls if you are interested.
All the white ones are the Amberinks

Barton isn't far from me.  :)   Can I ask what are Amberinks like and what colour eggs do they lay?
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

xx
new to chicken keeping

Started by westie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 15, 2007, 19:34
by agapanthus
xx
New to chicken keeping

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 18, 2008, 09:31
by ceri green
xx
HELP - new to chicken keeping!

Started by dazza666 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 15:07
by dazza666
xx
New to Chicken-keeping

Started by Frothgar on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 12:15
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 36 queries.