waterproofing their houses

• 11 Replies

karlooben

waterproofing their houses
« on: November 30, 2009, 16:30 »
guys i have a 7ft by 7 ft shiplap shed {is it shiplap cant remeber  :lol:} well its painted with cupranol paint about 4 coats on the outside but with this wet weather the rain has come though the edges on the corners of the side an even though the walls is there any type of sealant i could use on the inside to help stop this , i am so worried about my girls getting damp etc over the winter its bad enough that i have a dodgy roof on it with even a tarpaulin sheet folded 4 times over its still slightly getting damp on the roof. Oh an there's wood sheets and asphalt on the roof as well .

am hoping to have a new roof go on as soon as i can build one and find the man power to help.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 17:03 by noshed »
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

raeburg

Re: waterproofing their houses
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 18:12 »
Try silicon bath sealant in the joins as it's waterproof and and mould proof.  My dad also dry-lined their coop/shed with the plasterboard things (but not plasterboard you know what I mean).

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 18:51 »
hiya rae , was that on the inside or the outside  :D i doubt we have seen the last of this wet weather ethier so i want to get something done before the real bad weather hits us .

raeburg

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 18:56 »
Ooh it's gone all christmassy in here :)
That was on the inside.  Fill the joints with sealant to waterproof and then screw dry-lining boards onto the interior structure which insulates it.

Rubellite

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 19:00 »
That was on the inside.  Fill the joints with sealant to waterproof and then screw dry-lining boards onto the interior structure which insulates it.

Hi Rae and Looby - I'd be careful at dry lining as rats and mice can get between the layers and nest. It hasn't happened to me but it did to someone I know and they had a devil of a job getting rid of the rats :ohmy:

karlooben

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 19:09 »
hi rube that i can understand but i could cut boards down to size to fit between each section of the main beams inside the shed  . i need to do something big time , i cant beleive the force of the rain it was scary but to even manage to get between groves of the shed walls shows how forcefull it was .

i really really wanna build my new house as i have the most amazing plan of one in my head but it would be a spring / summer job and it would also cost me about £250  :unsure:

littlewitch

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 19:13 »
Hi there Looby - you could try waterproofing with  a solution of Unibond (watered down - think instructions are on tin for correct mix) believe its not harmful only prob is you will have to keep chooks out of coop until its dry - so it would mean an early start or do it over a few days keeping track of where you've done until all completed.   :unsure:

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 20:00 »

If you mean plasterboard when you say dry lining it is not suitable for damp environments, even the moisture brought in by the chooks will be absorbed by the plasterboard and it will not last long.

With the weather we have been getting it will be difficult to keep the damp out without another waterproof membrane which would be a possible haven for red mite.

If you have vertical battens on the outside of the corners (you should have) take them off put a good line of mastic down the joint then put the battens back on.

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 20:03 »
thankyou for the ideas guys , sounds like i may need to call in a friend  :lol: he can do one side i can do the other will get done quicker  :D . my dad as loads of  sealants in the garage i will nick one of those and it is only to do the seams of where each of the slats lay into each other so i may get away with one tube  :ohmy: ok maybe not  :lol:

8doubles could i take of veritcal battens and nail in place damp proof membrane then replace the battens ?? mum brought loads of that as she made her own high rise strawberry beds an lined them with that .
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 20:05 by karlooben »

raeburg

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 20:16 »
Sorry forgot about the waterproof membrane!  Doh!

ehs284

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 20:36 »
I'd suggest not trying to seal the present coop. Battens on outside (roofing battens are cheap) then thick damp proof membrane. Put battens or similar on outside to give physical protection to the DPM. This will allow ventilation between main coop and DPM but no harbourage for mites. The DPM will be fine for the winter but will not be permanent as next summer's sun (?) will break it down.
For next years project??? I've built a block walled, plastic roofed house which has the coop inside. Seems OK and birds like it. Easy to clean and repair/update/enlarge. Best of luck.

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 21:37 »
[quote author=karlooben

8doubles could i take of veritcal battens and nail in place damp proof membrane then replace the battens ?? mum brought loads of that as she made her own high rise strawberry beds an lined them with that .
[/quote]

A line of mastic would be better as rain could still get in along the side of polythene or damp course. If air spaces are full of mastic the rain will run down the batten outside instead  of driving through.

xx
Hen Houses

Started by Digger the Dog on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2018, 16:51
by Val H
xx
HEN HOUSES

Started by Ali10 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 07:12
by muntjac
xx
New Hen Houses

Started by Briony on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 10:55
by Briony
xx
hen houses plural?

Started by purplebat on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 22:58
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 36 queries.