Sowing peas and beans direct - what's the trick?

• 19 Replies

Kirpi

Re: Sowing peas and beans direct - what's the trick?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 23:09 »
I think my problem in the module trays was overwatering before germination. A lot of seeds had turned to paste. I think they may have been wet enough in just the moist compost as bought without any watering.

In the open ground I didn't find any ungerminated peas or any peas at all. Mice maybe. I'll try the fine netting idea next year as DD suggested.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 23:41 »

I have sewn in guttering for years and found they dont like a lot of water on the compost,just a layer of moist compost straight from the bag,layer the seed,then cover with an inch more compost then a light watering as needed.

I have done this for the past few years and seem to get about 90% germination.  I don't net them though and they don't seem to get attacked by anything except the thing that chews semi-circles out of the edges of the bottom leaves (and not even that so far this year, come to think of it)
Anne

grendel

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 23:59 »
I just follow the rule that if its damp a few inches down then theres no need to water, it encourages deep roots.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Trillium

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 01:08 »
With peas, they need cooler soil but not half frozen soil. I do as DD does, make a shallow trench, throw them in spaced a bit, cover, firm down a bit, water and stretch a length of tangled netting over the row. I think it's mice or birds that steal the seeds and they won't risk the netting directly on the soil. Once the shoots are up I can remove the netting. But I do water every 2 days since we don't get the rain the UK does. Rainwater seems to get them up faster than tap water.

Beans need warmer soil or they simply won't germinate. Early June is usually good to direct seed beans.

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 23:37 »
all ive been doing is chit off the peas wait till they sprout dib a 2inch hole ,drop them in cover with potting compost and boom up they come

xx
Direct Sowing Broad Beans & Parsnips

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 09:28
by LilacSandy
xx
Sowing Early Peas and Broad Beans in Feb - outdoors or in pots?

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 08:05
by HuwG
xx
is it worth autumn sowing peas and broad beans to carry over winter?

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 20:58
by dugless
xx
direct sowing now?

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 22:15
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 29 queries.