Planting in September

• 6 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Planting in September
« on: September 04, 2022, 04:59 »
Two things I planted today:

Seedlings of Butter Dish yellow summer squash.  I posted in the spring about trying to plant courgettes very early to beat our squash vine borers.  Borers are supposed to be no longer active past mid-august, lets find out.

I chitted some Blue Lake pole beans a few days ago.  A day or two probably would have been enough, as many of the seeds already had forked roots and visible leaflets when they went in the ground today. 

It would be unusual here to have a frost before mid-November, and it is common not to have frost until late November, or later.  I think I have a chance to get some produce from both of these new plantings.

I'm curious what others might be planting this time of year.  For me, winter-to-spring leafy greens, peas, and beets will probably need to wait until October or November.  Yellow Granex short-day sweet onions are little threads right now, and will also need to wait and grow bigger before they are planted out.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 11:43 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Planting in September
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 09:59 »
Good luck!
I've got seedlings of April cabbage/spring greens which I'm babying along in pots in the shade, waiting for some rain, before planting.
Seeds on the desk (to remind me to sow them!!!) are chard, spinach, mustard, phacelia; the last 2 for green manures.
ps Also must remember to sow wallflowers to go in the door tubs with the tulips i've ordered  :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 10:00 by mumofstig »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 11:50 »
I completely forgot to mention a hill of cucumbers that I planted yesterday (seedlings the same age as the squash).

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 17:26 »
looking at your replies mum I see you growing spring cabbage I'm also growing spring cabbage wheelers imperial and Duncan I started them of in the greenhouse in a tray then pricked out into pots but the plats seemed to have started to grow out of shape bent not growing straight at all so I've moved them out of the greenhouse into a cold frame so is there an answer why this has happened I may I have done something wrong when I pricked them out or is it because there in the greenhouse and not outdoors and above all will they be any good to plant out can anyone give me some advise regarding this as it would be most appreciated

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 18:03 »
RW, I think that because the don't get 'stirred' by the wind when they're inside, the stems are a bit weaker.
I always plant them a bit deeper in their final positions which seems to stop any windrock. They seem to work out ok anyway   :)

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 08:08 »
 Mainly salads for the greenhouses now. My plot loses direct sun for 6 months of the year which is a bit annoying so things stay colder and wetter over winter. But things still grow and survive if we have a mild one like last winter, all my august sown autumn mustards for example survived outside untill I pulled them out April time.

I didnt bother sowing spring cabbages this year as I had more of the plot given over to swede, psb and parsnip

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 20:58 »
Snow, I have some spaces that are opposite to the problem you have.

I have 3 beds that have limited sun in the warm months, due to deciduous trees leafing out.  It's not total shade, but it is less than optimal for many crops.

In a couple of months, we will have significant leaf drop, and those beds will be full sun and fine for just about anything that you can grow in the winter.  My spinach, lettuce, tatsoi, beets and peas will probably go in those beds.

xx
Things to do in September

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 13:49
by Anton
xx
Things to sow in September?

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 20, 2015, 06:53
by Growster...
clip
Ahh late September...

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 30, 2017, 20:15
by Mr Dog
xx
September sowing

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 09:59
by pushrod

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 47 queries.