Grafting update

• 4 Replies

Lardman

Grafting update
« on: April 25, 2014, 16:10 »
Just in case anyone is following   ::)

100% mortality with the grafted tomato plants, Im still not sure about the pepper x tomato, shame as they were looking promising for a few days  :( but looking at the graft sites they just didn't take at all.

Those were all tube grafted at 2mm (ish) as things are a little bigger now I've tried some approach grafts.

Arnold x shirley
Arnold x black from tusa
Arnold x sungold

All the arnold tops have had their leaves removed and are sitting in damp compost to root for another round rather than heading off to the bin.

Headgardener22

Re: Grafting update
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 20:10 »
I tried grafting tomatoes last year as an experiment. Total abject failure. :( The only one that succeeded was when I accidentally grafted a Roma on a Roma (which didn't have much point).

The main problem that I could see was getting the rootstock and the scion the same size.  Don't think I will try again. Although ...

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 20:33 »
I've been trying for several seasons and only managed 1 graft and the plant was so weak it didn't even fruit.  :( 

Years of constant failure isn't going to stop me trying though - it needs a decade or so for me to get the message  :lol:

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 19:57 »
Yeah.... mine didn't recover after being dropped on the floor- can't think why  ::)

However- have learnt that if I sow Aubgs on Dec 26th I end up with seriously nice plants, currently in the greenhouse.  Don't have the heart to chop up another one as I've never had Aubgs this lush before.....

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 13:49 »
Think I'll rename this thread to "What's dead in the healing chamber today"  ::)

The arnold x black from tusa is a goner, as is the pepper / tomato graft but the sungold and Shirley look ok. I've taken the clips off and they're getting some indirect sunlight.

Not sure how much is being fed from the rootstock and how much from the scion at the moment, I'm hoping the picture is just from a bad angle as it doesn't look like much of the rootstock is grafted it's difficult to see but I guess I'll find out when I try and wean them.

AxS_approach_graft.jpg

xx
grafting

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2016, 18:22
by Trikidiki
xx
Apple grafting

Started by Bm1 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 21, 2023, 14:23
by Bm1
xx
Grafting Tomatoes

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 06, 2024, 16:51
by AndyRVTR
xx
On the grafting of tomatoes

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 19:09
by Kristen

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 33 queries.