Home made crisps

• 7 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Home made crisps
« on: October 30, 2014, 09:11 »
I made some blue potato crisps and some beetroot crisps yesterday, that were sliced on a mandolin. Not quite as thin as I would have liked but it is as thin as the mandolin will go.

I fried them, and drained them well and they did crisp up as they cooled, but by the end of the day they were not crisp at all.

Anyone else made any recently?

I did wonder if putting them in a sealed plastic box might help once they were cool, but wondered if anyone else knows about this please?

I really want to make some on Friday to eat on Saturday at an all Hallows party -- the dark blue and red looked great together  :)

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Home made crisps
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:15 »
Could you put them in a low oven/dehydrator to continue drying after frying? Sogginess might be from moisture retained in the middle when frying.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:15 by surbie100 »

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:26 »
My dad used to soak the slices in water to get some of the starch out before deep frying and they kept quite crisp for a couple of days on the rare occasions we did not scoff the lot straight away. 

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:30 »
Could you put them in a low oven/dehydrator to continue drying after frying? Sogginess might be from moisture retained in the middle when frying.

I could try that. Thanks Springy, that's a good idea  :D

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 00:25 »
I've just made some spicy parsnip crisps, recipe from Internet that has you drying out parsnip peelings in the oven for a bit first then frying then sprinkling with a mixture,of curry powder and salt.  Very tasty but we scoffed the lot immediately!  Going to do another batch and try and keep them, maybe in foil? Will let you know if they stay crisp...would be nice for Christmas nibbles. :)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 06:50 »
Watching this as they sound great  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 08:21 »
I've just made some spicy parsnip crisps, recipe from Internet that has you drying out parsnip peelings in the oven for a bit first then frying then sprinkling with a mixture,of curry powder and salt.  Very tasty but we scoffed the lot immediately!  Going to do another batch and try and keep them, maybe in foil? Will let you know if they stay crisp...would be nice for Shhh... nibbles. :)

Yes they sound gorgeous indeed  :D

I am please to report that the next batches of crisps stayed crisp as I cooked them for longer. The blue potato crisps were a real hit with our grandchildren, as were the carrot ones

Interestingly, the beetroot ones took ages, and shrunk from a 5cm circle to a 2cm circle before they were properly crisped  :ohmy: :wacko:

Mogman

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 09:23 »
Yep I think this is right...I made apple crisps some time ago and that was the solution...in a very low oven for an hour or so and then in an airtight container. Good luck with that!

xx
Home made infused oils

Started by Suzyq2909 on Kitchen Natter

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 13:10
by snowdrops
xx
I made some redcurrant jelly 1st time ever.

Started by LILLILEAF on Kitchen Natter

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2020, 11:13
by LILLILEAF
xx
Home Produced Eggs West Midlands

Started by chickadeedo on Kitchen Natter

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2016, 00:56
by Craigx

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 37 queries.