Lame broiler

• 3 Replies

Heathcliff2

Lame broiler
« on: October 02, 2010, 11:05 »
I got some reject broilers from a commercial farm and they were in very bad shape but I got them all up to good weights and they're in my freezer now. Apart, that is from Igor. This chick didn't grow much and still had yellow chick fluff on its head at 12 weeks!!! I've kept the bird seperate from my 18 week old pullets and my two 8 month old ex-free range broiler hens who are great layers but not known for their understanding nature when it comes to weaker birds! I'm fairly sure now that Igor is an Igorina so I'd really like to keep her as a layer if possible, but she has developed a stiff leg at the hock joint and really can't walk properly. Is there any physio I could try to improve her movement as she looks like a little Pterydactyl shuffling on her wings. I think she is a kind of slow maturing genetic mutant as a result of her breeding programme so maybe she won't grow big enough to lay? She's about 17 weeks now, about the size of a 4-6 week old commercial broiler and fully feathered with a pale-ish comb, but eats and drinks well and isn't at all nervous. Am I being a namby-pamby, cruel-by-stupidity fool to put her through this or should I continue? PLEASE help if you can I'm rather fond of her.

Heathcliff2

Re: Lame broiler
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 09:33 »
No advise then? Are you all too polite to tell me to just wring her neck? :(

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 09:50 »
Hi Heathcliff, as a broiler with leg problems I would probably cull her. 

Life can't be very fun for her, and with leg problems she will have problems escaping from any would-be predators.

She would still make a nice meal for two probably.

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:42 »
it gets tricky when they become individuals doesn't it? and what is it with us falling for the underdog (or underchicken)?  It's going to be tough, but quality of life is important and if she can't be with a flock then will she really be happy?  Don't envy you this one!  :(

xx
Raised as a Broiler ?

Started by Bigblacktaximan on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 10:46
by Kate and her Ducks
clip
8wk old broiler rescue pls help

Started by Emma Anderson on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 24, 2021, 21:17
by grinling
xx
Rescuing a broiler chicken..advice needed.

Started by mtoyne on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 22:03
by Jellyhead
xx
Automatic broiler farm system (ventilation and climate control)

Started by George Mdinaradze on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 14, 2020, 22:22
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 40 queries.