Problem with Cockerel

• 5 Replies

Prod

Problem with Cockerel
« on: March 25, 2013, 17:38 »
I noticed that my cockerel sounded a bit 'off' today  He sounds like he has 'catargh' in his throat  He is quite tame so I picked him up to examine him and noticed that he has some feathers missing close to his neck mainly at the front but around the sides and the flesh seems red. Difficult to see when he is on the ground as his 'mane' covers them.  I could not see evidence of mite either on him or the coop but I dusted him with powder just in case. Other than that he seems perfectly healthy, eating, drinking, treading as normal..  I don't think he is pushing his head through anything.  Has anyone any ideas?   Thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Problem with Cockerel
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 19:03 »
I had a long chat with my local vet recently about unwanted visitors on poultry.  He said they can be extremely hard to see, you might have to stare at one spot for minutes before you see something move.  He also said some mites are in bedding and feed and although are not harmful they can cause them irritation.  He prescribed some Frontline spray which I now have in my Chicken First Aid Kit.  Only problem is the 4 week egg withdrawal he said would be needed if/when I use it.  So if I need to use it I will treat then quarantine any affected bird and hope they all don't need treatment at the same time.   ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 20:51 »
How long have you had him?Have you added to your birds?

Prod

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 21:49 »
Which Frontline is it, is it one specially for poultry?  I bought him last march when I first started keeping chickens along with 4 hens (one of whom died)   I bought 2 more last August and I recently bought 2 call ducks.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 11:30 »
No it is the dog and cat one it has not been authorised for poultry or tested so you need a vet to prescribe it and advise on its use.

grinling

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 14:56 »
quite a lot of diseases can cause breathing probs. Is he being picked on at all.?
Mareks can cause feather loss. Has he ever moulted? If you see feathers on the ground pick up and discard in bin.

xx
Cockerel Problem - again!!!

Started by tuffty on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 15:16
by tuffty
question
Cockerel with terrible eye problem - help please!

Started by Bumblebee1 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 20, 2011, 19:27
by Anndee
xx
My cockerel sneezes as he crows- problem?

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 18:57
by CluckyChicken
question
Should i get a cockerel

Started by chicken george25 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 12, 2012, 08:30
by joyfull

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 38 queries.