Non-stop broodiness

• 6 Replies

viettaclark

Non-stop broodiness
« on: June 08, 2012, 01:38 »
My Speckledie has been broody twice before for about 5 weeks but came out of it and laid for 5 weeks or so before brooding again. I accepted this behaviour as normal broodiness.
I just shut her out of the nest box after the others had laid and she was happy free-ranging with the flock for the rest of the day and I blocked off the nestbox at night. I haven't got a cage and the water dunking/ice packs etc didn't work.
This time she has continued to be broody for 11 weeks so far!!! She is healthy in herself, eating/drinking and flying/running about the garden, so no muscle problems. But she still has all the broody signs and when the nestbox is open she's in there, rolling the eggs into her nest and not budging unless lifted. I remove the eggs as soon as possible.
What has caused this extended brood and will she ever come out of it?
Should I just accept it and be prepared to never get another egg from her? I don't want chicks!!!!
Bit of a waste really, but she's such a character!!!

jennie hennie

Re: Non-stop broodiness
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 08:54 »
I'm no expert but the only way to break my permanently broody bantam cross is to put her in a wire cage.Even when the other two have laid and she's shut out of the coop she parades to and fro sqawking  :wub:
At night I let her back in, putting large upside down flower pots in the nest boxes, although the one time I didn't check they were upside down I found her inside one in the morning :D
I've kept a log and now know the pattern and when she's stopped laying pop her in the cage for 2/3 days. She usually starts laying within 2weeks and so the cycle starts again!
Don't you just love 'em and as you say what characters, she's definitely the boss.

Good luck!!!! ::)

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 09:56 »
I have a silkie that lays for 3 weeks then goes broody for 7 or 8 weeks. I tried everything and the only thing that worked was putting her in a dog carrier with a mesh bottom which I had to make myself and put into the carrier. 2 days is all it usually takes to beak the broodiness with her now. It might be worth you investing in one, I use mine on all the girls now so it gets plenty of use!

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 10:28 »
Have to say the cage method was the only thing that works when one of my hybrids goes broody- which is 2-3 times a year. I now recognise the early signs she exhibits so act  quicklywhich seems to cut down on the length of time she's in the broody cage. My run is secure so I leave her in the cage day and night with access to food and water. Usually works after a couple of days.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 16:15 »
I am having the same problem with one of my Pekin's.
 When you put them in a dog crate do you lift it up off the floor? Say on some bricks or just let it rest on the floor but with no tray in the base, just the wire mesh?
Thanks

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 18:30 »
Mine has a plastic bottom so I made a wire mesh that sits on some blocks so the air can get underneath the hen. It needs to be uncomfortable enough that she can't settle down all cosy to brood. Remember to put food and water in it for her, she can stay in it at night otherwise she will just go back into a nest box at night.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 12:37 »
Thanks. I'm going to have to give it a try because mine is just being very persistant.
Hope it works!

xx
Broodiness

Started by Budboy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 13:32
by ANHBUC
xx
Broodiness

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 31, 2007, 20:03
by muntjac
xx
Broodiness

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 17:56
by viettaclark
xx
Broodiness

Started by Chicken_Lover on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 11:18
by Chicken_Lover

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 38 queries.