Munty's runner bean frame

• 273 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Munty's one way to grow runner beans
« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2009, 16:15 »
If you arrange your canes in the X format make sure you tie them together at the top to prevent collapse.

______
\       /
 \     /
  \   /
   \ /
    x
   / \

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: May 31, 2009, 17:00 »
I'd put one or two plants at the base of each cane - so either 11 or 22 canes for the uprights, plus a few for the cross-pieces (depending on length of purchased canes, length of the row, and how much cross-bracing you plan to do)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Lee G

• Experienced Member
« Reply #167 on: May 31, 2009, 22:54 »
So here it is!!

Paul Plots

« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2009, 01:06 »
With luck - a photo of my first ever Munty bean-frame taken a couple of weeks ago.  :)

I planted some early beans at the far end and put up some cover for frost protection.

More recently I've added a short seed-bed row of wallflowers, lettuce and some courgettes underneath. I am hoping I have judged it right and there'll be enough room to wander around picking the beans!  :unsure:

Munty-frame No.1.jpg
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Oliver

« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2009, 16:44 »
... It is actually smaller than it looks in the pic.
I had a thought for all Munty-users: a 'Snapper'

These pruners have long handles and a cut and hold mechanism which is ideal for pruning and deadheading. He has one and loves using it.  You can reach over stuff planted under your Munty to pick the beans.  Just a thought
Oliver
(take a look at the website for a picture: http://www.carryongardening.org.uk/shop/long-reach-pruners
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Casey76

« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2009, 19:05 »
Well here is my attempt!

I just hope it can cope with the wind lol

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #171 on: June 24, 2009, 21:54 »
it's a bit hard to see, but my first bean has got onto the top string. I'm a little concerned about the amount of bushy growth at the bottom, and the 'stringyness' of the main vines, however:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #172 on: June 24, 2009, 21:57 »
That looks great.  Nip the top out when  when it reaches the top of the strings and they will bush out to fill your frame :)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #173 on: June 24, 2009, 22:03 »
Im a bit worryed mine wont cling to the roof now that they have reached the top of the back 4ft wall.

Everbody is watchin my frame with intrest, already had ppl planning on making one next yr if mine works.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Paul Plots

« Reply #174 on: June 24, 2009, 23:24 »
Im a bit worryed mine wont cling to the roof now that they have reached the top of the back 4ft wall.

Everbody is watchin my frame with intrest, already had ppl planning on making one next yr if mine works.

Sounds as if my runners are a spit in front of yours.... (or my lower side is lower than yours) - as my  beans are romping away along the "roof". Spotted two tiny beans this evening.  :)

The bottom of my plants, like yours, are really bushy but they are getting the idea - "up, up and away"  ;) and....they are coping with an onslaught of blackfly  :( (early this year?).

I've had just one comment from neighbouring plot holders = "I see you've tried a new bean-frame." But I have had others taking a new route across the allotments and my paths are getting more wear than usual!!  :lol:

Perhaps muntys will be spring up around me next year - if I don't knock myself out or get strangled scrabbling about underneath the frame when the beans are big enough to pick!  ::)

Oliver

« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2009, 16:08 »
Perhaps muntys will be spring(ing) up around me next year

My friend had a poly tunnel for many years but when she stopped using it the 'skin' fell to bits which left the frame. She has threaded the frame with string and has a perfect 'munty' for her beans. She has been growing beans like this for years and says it's very easy to pick the beans, and it looks nice, although a bit problematical if you plant stuff under the beans - you must look where you walk, or tramp on stuff!  :D
Oliver
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 16:10 by Oliver »

harrymac

« Reply #176 on: July 04, 2009, 23:06 »
I forgot to add that I've already had beetroot, intercropped with spring onions, in the same bed as the runners. As this will be a brassica bed next year I'll shortly be planting some purple sprouting broccoli in their place. Yet more good reasons to have a Munty frame. :)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #177 on: July 09, 2009, 22:11 »
My first plant has now grown to the top of the 'roof' , thats 10ft im amazed.

Now do i top the plant or something?

Im growing lettuces , Spring onions , beetroot  amd butternut squashes under mine. All seem to be doing very well to.

Ive also grown sweet peas up the bottom corners and put my sun flowers growing up the front 2 posts so its looking a real nice structure.

Paul Plots

« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2009, 22:21 »
I don't think I'd nip out the tips.... but I imagine others will disagree. Usually I just let my beans roam about and find a place to hang on to and continue growing where they wish.  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2009, 11:15 »
Wouldn't have thought it matters which string they grew along, the idea is the beans hang down.

There's no way my beans grow up the cane I plant them by! They average themselves out.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Ask Munty - Planting Tips

Started by Smudgeboy on Growing FAQs and other Information

16 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 18:26
by DD.
xx
making your own seed compost the munty way

Started by muntjac on Growing FAQs and other Information

11 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 16:10
by muntjac

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 52 queries.