Quail and hens together?

• 7 Replies

savbo

Quail and hens together?
« on: September 27, 2012, 16:29 »
Hi all - sorry if this has been answered before, couldn't find anything with the search function.

We kept a few hens a while ago, and are thinking of doing so again. But we are also interested in keeping quail after visiting friends in germany who had about a dozen. Can they be kept together or would they have to be kept separately?

sav

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Quail and hens together?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 19:40 »
The hens would kill the quail.  Quail also need an enclosure with a roof or they will just fly away.  If you are just having a few you can keep them in a rabbit hutch.  My hens love having a look at my quail through the mesh but I would never let them mix.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

savbo

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 10:26 »
thanks...kind of suspected that might be the case! But good to have it confirmed.

As I cycled to lottie the other day, there was a 4' hutch next to a skip. was back in 3 mins with a barrow, asked nice guy loading skip and he was more than happy for me to take the hutch. result!

With a 2mx2m run, how many quail would I be wise having?

sav

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 13:48 »
I would not overstock on quail as you can have problems with infighting.  Best to start off small and increase once you get used to looking after them.  They are very different to chickens. 

You will get one egg per day per female when the daylight is 14 hours long.  Mine have just stopped laying and are in moult.  Once they have finished moulting I will put a light on a timer to encourage them to lay again.  You really need to think of what you will do with all the eggs as I can get over 5 dozen from my 9 females.  Some people are not keen on the small fiddly eggs.  Best as I said to start off small and once you have demand for the eggs or quail meat then increase your numbers.

The area generally considered acceptable per bird is 1 square foot.  You may find that having different sections in the enclosure for different groups of birds is best.  They do not take kindly to new birds being introduced.  They also can take a dislike to another bird for no reason and peck them to death.  Hope I haven't put you off but you need to be aware of the bad points.   ;)

splash101

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 15:27 »
if you are wanting to breed from them, try to keep it to just one male. Otherwise there will be alot of fighting amongst the males and the females will stop laying due to too much attention from over amorous males.

I know they are not for everybody. We keep them in a huge aviary and they eat chicken pellets, egg food and they also hoover up the spilt seed from above, and (finally) got them to eat vegeatables but mine wont touch fruit.

My daughter prefers quail eggs to hens if they are poached or fried, she says they are the perfect size for her.

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 19:08 »
if you are wanting to breed from them, try to keep it to just one male. Otherwise there will be alot of fighting amongst the males and the females will stop laying due to too much attention from over amorous males.

I know they are not for everybody. We keep them in a huge aviary and they eat chicken pellets, egg food and they also hoover up the spilt seed from above, and (finally) got them to eat vegeatables but mine wont touch fruit.

My daughter prefers quail eggs to hens if they are poached or fried, she says they are the perfect size for her.

What is egg food splash101?

splash101

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 20:10 »
egg food is what our parent aviary birds feed their chicks with, you can feed it to them all year or you can make your own, mashed hard boiled eggs, rusk or chick crumb and ground eggshell.
the one we buy smells like terry's chocolate orange? smells much nicer than home made and homemade goes off very quickly.
i give the quails a spoonful, not everyday though, just so they dont feel left out  :nowink: they have to be quick though as the birds come down and pinch it even though they have their own supply.
gives them a bit of a protein boost but i dont suppose it has any more protein than chick crumb

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 23:31 »
Well that is a new one on me, you learn something new every day.  Thanks for the info will see if our local pet store stocks it.   :)

xx
quail

Started by davidmostyn on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 11:56
by mdueal
exclamation
quail

Started by jarrode0 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 11:22
by woodside farm
xx
Quail. A few Q's.

Started by JaK on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 11, 2012, 12:19
by splash101
xx
hi i new have quail

Started by dawn 11 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 14:48
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 34 queries.