New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Beginner

• 10 Replies

WhyteFawn

Beginner
« on: March 04, 2016, 14:28 »
Hi Everyone

I am brand new to keeping an allotment. Just got the site key and ready to get cracking on all that grass at the weekend. Hoping to get lots of hints and tips from you guys to help me out!

Thanks
Cassie

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Beginner
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 15:19 »
Hello Cassie and welcome to your new world. First piece of advice........take it slow and easy.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 17:58 »
Hi Cassie and welcome. It is really exciting getting your first plot, isn't it?

There is lots to read in Articles and Advice in the green ribbon at the top of the page, which should keep you busy this evening!

Best of luck --  look forward to seeing some photos
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 18:41 »
Welcome along...
My advice is to not try to do everything at once - clear a bit and plant it up - then on to the next and so on. I've seen too many spend a month totally clearing the plot then giving up 'cos all they are doing is hard work and not growing. Obviously different if you have a team of navvies available.

Pip pip,
Balders

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 19:51 »
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new lotty  :D

If you pop your general location into your forum profile it'll help when we're chatting about growing stuff  :)

The first piece of advice has to be to take photos before you get started - it'll really help you to look back on your progress.

The second piece of advice is to make sure you have a thermos flask.

The third piece of advice, then, is to take it slowly and in stages  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

WhyteFawn

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 11:35 »
Thank you everyone.  There are about 4 beds already marked out from the pervious owner so my plan is to turn them over, compost them up and get something in ASAP.  I can work on the rest of it in turn. I've managed to aquire a shed and compost bin which hasn't cost me anything so we are getting there.
I've attached a before picture. I took this when I went to view it before signing for tenancy. Now I have the key and can get digging!

Cassie
FB_IMG_1457177712388.jpg

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 13:43 »
Looking at your picture, my first bit of advice would be decide where your path/s will go and where your new shed & bins will go and mark those out.  It looks as though you have at least 2 well defined sides, think about getting at least a foot clear at the sides to stop encroaching weeds, consider if you will have beds down the sides for fruit maybe  - consider sun/shade and try not to increase your shade unless you want to.  The 4 beds started look a sensible size - try and keep them narrow enough to reach the middle without walking on the soil - normally about 4ft. and I would suggest tidying them up, composting and then covering with weed control fabric of some sort to save yourself having to re-weed before you sow or plant out.

Good luck, have fun and don't overdo it!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 13:44 by mjg000 »

Groveant

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 09:35 »
I would like to know if I buy from Sainsburys Anya potatoes  would I be able to plant themor do I have to buy the seeds

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 12:43 »
It's not generally recommended to buy from a food shop as the potatoes have not been stored and checked in the same way.  Most £ shops, Wilkos etc. and general garden centres have bags or even single potatoes to weigh up and sold by the Kilo. You are better getting these.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 21:14 »
It's not generally recommended to buy from a food shop as the potatoes have not been stored and checked in the same way.  Most £ shops, Wilkos etc. and general garden centres have bags or even single potatoes to weigh up and sold by the Kilo. You are better getting these.

The main reason, though, is not to do with storage but with pest and disease.  Seed tubers are certified virus free whereas spuds that are sold for cooking, are not.  There is no way of telling whether the cooking spuds are infected before you plant them.

As MJG says, seed tubers are not expensive and it's just not worth the risk.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 10:53 »
Hi from another beginner, Cassie

We've converted a superfluous lawn into our veggie garden, with four large raised beds - and I'm now figuring out what to do with them!

Good luck with your allotment.

xx
Allotment & Grafting beginner

Started by manchestman on Welcome to the Forums

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2022, 20:23
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 39 queries.