winters the time to be in the workshop

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

winters the time to be in the workshop
« on: November 17, 2010, 19:59 »
now winter is upon us its time repair and make good ones equipment ready for next year I've put the tractors in the shed won't be using them till next year on the lottie was going to plough the lottie but its to wet :(

i took on a project of stripping down my potato planter that i bought as a hunk of rusty old metal the planter is driven off the power take off three row planter with turning  cups i carefully removed the cups that where all seezed up with rust because it had been standing outside to the elements for some years i had to heat up all the bolts to get them free used the angle grinder to clean the  ridging bodies made a new wooden spud box repaired the seats with the help of my MiG welder :)

then i put it all back together fresh coat of paint cups are now working very well the only thing is I've not got that much ground to use it properly but it looks god after a bit of TLC
so its sheeted up going to start a repair job on my trailer to re-floor for next year  :D

just one thing i forgot to mention when i repaired the planter i put the seats back but i run out of round head bolts to bolt the seat back on so i used a square head bolt when my wife sat on the planter seat down the lottie she was most upset sitting on the protruding bolt head  :mad: :mad: :mad:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: winters the time to be in the workshop
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 00:16 »
Being forced to keep my machinery in a very damp ex-cowshed at the moment, I've sprayed with WD40 and oiled with a rag to avoid them rusting. Hopefully the builders are coming next month and they'll soon be a lot dryer.

When the works are done I'll have a great workshop to play in - even if I need my long johns on!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 14:54 »
A lot of farmers here find those very small woodburners to put into their repair sheds. The burners are usually in a corner, or against a wall so the chimney can go straight up and not collect creosote. The burners run only when the fellows are working in the shed and it sure beats having frozen fingers and other bits. something to consider.

My dad has a huge driveshed that doubles as his repair area in one section and he bought an oil fired heater which he aimed at himself when he did repairs. The driveshed is tall enough so no worries about toxic fumes or anything.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 15:08 »
got my long johns on keeping warm no heater in workshop considering wood burner sound a good idea

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 22:05 »
To install it legally with a new chimney would cost at least £1000 here (and the rest!)

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 01:45 »
Oh, I forgot about all the UK rules and regs. Farmers here rarely bother as the burners are just in outbuildings, not the barns or houses. But you wouldn't need official installation with a self-standing oil burner. Those things are just rolled to wherever needed and no exhaust piping needed.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 08:29 »
Oh, I forgot about all the UK rules and regs. Farmers here rarely bother as the burners are just in outbuildings, not the barns or houses. But you wouldn't need official installation with a self-standing oil burner. Those things are just rolled to wherever needed and no exhaust piping needed.

It's obvious from your comments that Canada is in danger and needs an influx of health and safety consultants before all your citizens die in horrific accidents.

It's time we Brits showed how generous we can be. Let's send all our health and safety consultants to Canada (by ship as it's less risky than those aeroplanes)

If Canada could assist by making sure their submarines are not in the area with the safeties off on the torpedoes...  ;)

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.