Small Tractors - what make?

• 53 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Small Tractors - what make?
« on: September 07, 2010, 14:16 »
There seems to be a bewildering number of makes of small tractors around at all sorts of prices. Any suggestions as to best make etc welcome.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Small Tractors - what make?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 15:40 »
Just a thought, I would still need to go and do some homework, but what do you envisage this tractor doing, John?

Is it for plodding across a muddy field, towing a biggish trailer and to what weight, or with a spike attached carrying a bale of feed/silage or something with bucket or loader forks at the front or the capability to attach and detach some or all of such equipment?

Its just that nowadays you get  machines which aren't even described as tractors which will do most or all of these things.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 15:55 »
IMO.... Kubota every time... I've worked for a number of landscape gardening companies and these things seem to be bomb-proof...  :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 16:28 »
I'm not quite sure what we'll be doing with it - main uses I can see are for re-seeding some of the pasture, so ploughing, harrowing etc.

We're not looking at horses or cattle so no huge manure piles to shift or so on.

I've seen Kubota on ebay and they look the business but always best to see what those in the know think.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 16:48 »
The reason I asked is that I had this sort of thing in mind without even looking further. :) Boss bought one a couple of years ago, mainly for hiring out. I'm not sure, off the top of my head which model it is, but it is one of the articulated ones, which I think has to be a really useful feature, for instance in tighter spaces. It also has an array of attachments available - loader forks, bucket, digger bucket, auger etc....

:)

Goldfinger

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 18:21 »

Kubota's are bomb-proof, or if you can stretch that bit further a John Deere  :D. I used to work  on another farm years ago and he would have anything else. Over previous years he's had Masseys', Cases' even a Renault  :tongue2:.

He stuck with JD's and has never looked back  :lol:

If you win the lottery, go for a fendt  ;) they are the rolls royce of the tractor world  8)

ACatCalledElvis

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 18:47 »
sounding boring now - but in the same position - have looked at the Chinese ones - they suffer from being not so sturdy - but cheap and affordable - 8k - for a 20 hp with rototiller, topper, plough and lifting tipper - but...........................affordable tractors at bristol do smallholder packages of second hand tractors - cheaper and possibly better?

I have really struggled to find online references for chinese tractors - I am tempted but not before some form of recomendation

Be Reasonable Demand the Impossible

Organic as much as my plot neighbours allow

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 19:19 »
Kubotas are really tough small tractors but even used they cost a lot more than most folk are prepared to spend. We have a small John Deere and really like it. Parts are readily available everywhere, same with service shops, even just for information. We've had Whites and Masseys in the past, but White parts are hard to find now and Masseys are riding on past reputation.

marek

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 19:43 »
Just got a old Kubota myself, expensive for what it is really.  Probably paid more than I should, but I was new to tractors and bigger machinery and quite naive.  Bought a copy of tractor and machinery magazine last month and the classified section is huge, and gives you a good idea of the sort of prices you should be paying, certainly the prices are less than ebay.  Spares and repairs is something you should take into account, I'm honestry struggling to get 2nd hand bits without paying through the nose for kubota.  Spares for older fergies 35 or 135, fordsons, david browns, internationals etc etc are much more reasonable and plentiful too.  The electronics are much simpler so not too many gremlins to iron out.  These things have been around for decades and have quite a following, and cheaper to purchase too.  Next time I will be going this road.

Chinese tractors?  Heard some reports that the electrics are prone to all sorts, not seen first hand mind you.  They do however look good value on the face of it.

Question is what sort of implements do you want to run and what power on the pto do they require? Do you want 4 wheel drive or will 2 do?

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 20:04 »
Had a kubota and it was bomb proof loved it to bits,now got a John Deere hmm not to sure on this at the moment apart from today as it has a cab where the kubota didn't have one.
Thanks
Kris

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 20:55 »
Look around locally when you move - there are still alot of the little grey fergies around in Wales, and parts and attachments are still available. Failing that then I would opt for a John Deere.
Staffies are softer than you think.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 20:56 »
As a general rule I prefer to go for good second hand rather than new - especially with cars that depreciate hugely in year one. Picked up an 8hp MTD shredder for £460 (new about £970) and it's literally as good as new.

Great tip on the tractor magazine - thanks marek

smud6ie

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 07:53 »
The price of spares is definatly a consideration, I have a Kubots B7100 and a MF135 and the price of  just piston rings and a head gasket for the former is £200 while a complete rebuild kit for the latter is the same :
Ebay Link

Buying a used Kubota or any  small 4x4 ,(Iseki are OK) is a minefield with lots of grey imports being offered for sale which is not a disaster but no one should go looking for  a tractor without being aware of the facts .
It took me 5 years of looking before I found a suitable Kubota,I looked at quite a few on Auction sites and looking at some in the flesh bore no resemblance to their descriptions  and I found faults with others that only and experianced mechanic could have found.
Check out www.orangetractortalks.com for some very useful info on Kubota's
I note in a earlier post that a company selling used tractors was mentioned ,I know someone who bought from them and their experience was not a pleasant one,I will say no more!!!
smud6ie

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 08:55 by John »

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 12:33 »
john deere woud be my choice my old work had 2 both over 30 years old and were going realy strong even after been used for arround 30 hours a week with a mutitude of differnt usses the smaller one had atachments for just about everything wherethe larger one was used mainly for large scale grass cutting and for towing a largish trailer unfortunatly the bigger one died the death and had to be replaced with a bigger cheaper new one made by new holland it diddnt have the soul of the john deere but id did have air con and a cd player

tedsdad

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 14:12 »
agree with most of the above for me a fergie 35 or better still 135 cant be beat the jap stuffs great till it needs fixing.One small question,do you need atractor?Will you  do that much arable stuff? Contractors\neighbours etc. aren't that dear.You might get more use out an agricutural quad.They're used by everyone in the shropshire hills( though I know when you ride around on your tractor,you do feel like a real farmer!)

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.