when does walking the dog become poaching

• 35 Replies

sion01

when does walking the dog become poaching
« on: November 20, 2010, 22:23 »
I often take my lurcher for walks along paths and common land and blow me the blooming thing emerges from a bush or somewhere with a rabbit in it's mouth :).Our walks aren't very long anymore,about 3 rabbits does me for about a week.
I know i could put him on a lead but he is very well behaved and won't look at any other animal,he just has a mean streak when he comes to bunnies and while he keeps me in cassaroles and roast's im not complaining either.
My only concern is that it may be misunderstood as poaching.Do i have cause to be concerned or can I collect the bunnies guilt free ::)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: when does walking the dog become poaching
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 06:54 »
Not sure about the poaching issue, should think most landowners would be delighted to get rid of a few rabbits. You may have a problem on the "hunting animals with dogs" issue, not sure. But if it is an "accident" that your lurcher kills a rabbit it would surely be a waste to just leave it there. He can't help being bred to kill bunnies can he?

Look forward to knowledgable peoples' answers.

From a former lurcher owner.....who thought she was doing vegetarian Mum a favour in bringing home the dinner! She was always soooo pleased, bless her.

twissle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 09:08 »
Lol In the eye's of the law it is poaching ;). But most land owner's would be fine about it i'm shaw :). I help run a small phesant shoot as long as people dog let thier dog's chase my phesant's or let them near my pen's then i say good luck to them :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 09:18 »
landowners have a duty to keep vermin (of which rabbits come into this category) so I guess they would be pleased. My dogs catch the occasional rabbit too.
Staffies are softer than you think.

nickmcmechan

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 09:45 »
if the land owner agrees to you doing this, its not poaching, and to get rid of vermin he will most likely agree

i know theres a fair bit of lamping going on near me, nobody bothers

your issue may be that the dog now has a high prey drive which is being rewarded, so i would ensure the dog is leashed anywhere near any type of housing - it wont see much difference between a rabbit, a pet cat, or a small pet dog

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 10:23 »
Depends on the landowner , if they have released pheasants they are unlikely to welcome your dog disturbing them even if the dog is only after bunnies.A lot of landowners are also very protective towards hares. On common land i would say you were exercising what would have been the commoners right and helping keep the numbers down. The LAW and some officious rangers may not see it the same way. :D

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 10:31 »
a side issue -- many police forces (unless a farmer complained directly about tresspass, damage or taking game with a dog) would be much more interested if it looked as if you were hare coursing. I am sure you never would do that but to help other people can I just say be aware the signs police look for are slip leads, long tailed dogs (wippet, lurcher type etc) and two or more dogs running or being transported together.
Helicopter photos or a witness etc giving info about any dog chasing a hare would usually convince a court that there was a case to answer. So if lurcher type dog owners can avoid hares, using slip leads, walking in groups etc it would be wise to do so to avoid misunderstanding and let the police concentrated on the real hare coursers who deserve to be caught.
R

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 19:55 »
If you run over a pheasant and kill it you are not allowed to take the bird for the pot. Someone else can take the bird but not you. Not sure if this applies to your dog killing a rabbit though.

ex-cavator

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 20:13 »
As has already been suggested, the majority of landowners would be perfectly OK with it. So why not broach the subject with him - if he's OK, then you've got no worries. If not, just find somewhere else to walk the dog. You could always offer him the odd bunny or two to keep him on side.

As for the 'hunting with dogs' thing - just have a hawk on your shoulder & you'll be OK  :D

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 21:12 »
Even with permission you obviously can't send your lurcher after hares, but rabbits do not come under hunting with dogs as its vermin control!

Do with a few bunnies in the freezer! :)

sion01

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 21:14 »
Then get a lurcher.This is my second but the first didn't show the same hunting instinct as this second one.This one is a bedlington terrier cross,i'm guessing that the terrier blood gives it a bit more guts.
I go on dunes near the coast more often than not and the rabbits are really thick on the ground and as it is common land from what I've read I don't have any worries.I might be doing my bit for coastal protection as well because the rabbits are really digging up the dunes.

twissle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 07:30 »
Then get a lurcher.This is my second but the first didn't show the same hunting instinct as this second one.This one is a bedlington terrier cross,i'm guessing that the terrier blood gives it a bit more guts.
I go on dunes near the coast more often than not and the rabbits are really thick on the ground and as it is common land from what I've read I don't have any worries.I might be doing my bit for coastal protection as well because the rabbits are really digging up the dunes.
Then i'd say enjoy your dog and the rabbit he bring's you back :D

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 10:53 »
Not allowed a dog where I live! :mad:

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 23:44 »
I wish my dog would bring the dinner home!
He does try to chase rabbits (on our own land) but if the rabbit does a right angle he blunders straight on, he's a collie so maybe a lurcher next ;)

catllar

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 14:28 »
Many many moons ago my OH was driving along with my Dad when he came round a bend and accidentally flattened several guineafowl who were crossing the road without looking. Aware that you are not supposed to  pick them up if you've hit them, but that you can if you are the next in line, my Dad got out the car and walked back round the bend to see the coast was clear -
  that it was safe, OH reversed round the dead birds and lo and behold - dinner. What a surprise ;)

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 32 queries.