Butternut Squash seeds

• 49 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Butternut Squash seeds
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2009, 22:17 »
You're making me nervous now ... I'm growing butternut squash for the first time this year. I don't have cold frame, but I have a large greenhouse - should I put them in there, rather than outside?

I am going to happily and confidently grow my butternut squash outside on my plot... they coped last year and did really well the year before that.

Growing in a greenhouse or frame.... I'm sure it'd be fine but they are only squash after all.
If I had the choice of growing butternut in a greenhouse I'd still go for outside.... not much chance of red spider mite in the open air  ;)

I think if your plants are big enough to plant out as soon as chance of frost is gone they are likely to mature and produce fruit for storage as well as immediate use.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2009, 22:30 »
You're making me nervous now ... I'm growing butternut squash for the first time this year. I don't have cold frame, but I have a large greenhouse - should I put them in there, rather than outside?

I am going to happily and confidently grow my butternut squash outside on my plot... they coped last year and did really well the year before that.

Growing in a greenhouse or frame.... I'm sure it'd be fine but they are only squash after all.
If I had the choice of growing butternut in a greenhouse I'd still go for outside.... not much chance of red spider mite in the open air  ;)

I think if your plants are big enough to plant out as soon as chance of frost is gone they are likely to mature and produce fruit for storage as well as immediate use.

But for people without the advantage of our sunny southern climes .....
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Paul Plots

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2009, 22:39 »

But for people without the advantage of our sunny southern climes .....

What? Where? Cold-e-r? Really...cor. Not the harsh north for me then... Reading's near the north isn't it?  ???

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2009, 22:41 »
Yes, north of Basingstoke hahahaha  :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2009, 14:49 »
if you dont want to grow them you can roast them in the oven with a drop of oil and some salt and peper and eat them

Having just eaten the last 'sweet mama' squash grown last year i saved all the seeds and as the oven was on already thought i`d try it.
Roasted dry no seasoning still delicious , really nutty. Ta for the idea.
Kev

xx
Five packets of assorted squash seeds free, pay only for P&P

Started by nipper31 on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 23:58
by aqua
xx
Which seeds

Started by lfcevans on Frugal Living

8 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 13:00
by lfcevans
xx
89p seeds

Started by Tenhens on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2015, 19:28
by Baldy
xx
50p seeds

Started by lucywil on Frugal Living

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 13:42
by Glyn

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 38 queries.