Recycling seeds

• 7 Replies

Benandbill

Recycling seeds
« on: September 12, 2011, 06:33 »
I've let some of my spinach go to seed, have planted some of those seeds and seedlings are out in force after just 3 or 4 weeks.  However, someone has told me this isn't such a good idea because the 2nd lot of spinach will go to seed quicker and will not grow as big.

Does anyone concur with this, and if so, does anyone know of any seeds that this is not applicable to?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Recycling seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:11 »
If it was an F1 variety, then the next generation will not come true to type and you will havve all sorts of spinach come up. They will not all be ready at the same time (which could be an advantage of course) and some mght run to seed sooner.

At this time in the year spinach does not usually bolt, so you should be OK for a goodly while for all of your new generation.  :D

Hope that helps

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 08:57 »
With most crops only one or two plants go to seed. If you collect the seed from them you are selecting plants that tend go to seed quickly. With some plants such as sweetcorn or beans this is good. With others such as onions it is not.

I suspect that all your spinach bolts at once and it will make no difference. If it is F1 it will say so on the packet.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:43 »
all plants eventually seed themselves..it's only bolting if it goes to seed much quicker than it should....so did the parent plants bolt or just flower and seed in their normal life-cycle?

If the latter, then there is no problem at all (unless it was an f1 variety as already said)

Benandbill

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 06:02 »
They're either Leaf Beet Perpetual Spinach or Scenic.  I cannot remember which as stupidly, I threw away the packet.  The seeds I've just re-sown came weeks and weeks ago from the spinach I sowed directly into a drill, and the leaves on these plants never grew big, they grew to about 2 ft tall and went to seed.  I put this down to the fact I didn't thin them and just left them close together so they didn't have room to grow big leaves.

The ones I had a decent crop from and have been eating for weeks, had lovely big leaves and are the same variety.  These are only just going to seed now but I potted these on when they were getting big and planted them out individually about a foot apart.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 07:06 »
The fact they went to seed could be just that spinach sown earlier in the year willl often bolt in poor conditions, regardless of variety.

Imho it is definitely worth the space right now to give them a go, and you sould get somehting to eat fromthe grond that you wouldn't have other wise.

If they run to seed quickly in the spring, then your compost heap will benefit and you might choose to buy anothe packet of seeds  for the next season

Benandbill

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 18:14 »
That definitely sounds encouraging, thanks sunshineband.  I potted them on on Friday anyway, 36 of them into 2x holders of 18 three inch pots.  One's in a cloche with my tray of spring onion seeds that are now just starting to show also, and one is being left outside to see which does better.

Here goes nothing!   :tongue2:

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 19:02 »
I never have to sow spinach. There are always self seeding plants which come up on my plot all over the place so I dig some up, eat some of the leaves, and leave some of the plants to go to seed. Then I get another lot next year.
The only problem is that they end up anywhere so if you are too tidy it won't work for you.

xx
Recycling

Started by Tattyanne456 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 18:33
by Elcie
xx
Recycling Bags

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 11:59
by Roll Roll
xx
Ash for recycling/using in garden

Started by oliviahelen on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 14:03
by oliviahelen
xx
Recycling straw

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 15, 2012, 08:04
by Kirpi

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 30 queries.