Best way to seal the wood on my shed door?

• 7 Replies

CDave

• Experienced Member
Best way to seal the wood on my shed door?
« on: April 19, 2013, 19:09 »
In the middle of building a new shed and aquired some logboard that I'm using for the door. Its untreated and "finished" - so creosote substitute (that I'm using on the rest of the shed) is unsuitable. Anone got any advice on how best to "seal" the timber? Dont want the hassle of the timber expanding and the door not opening and closing during winter. My thoughts were one of those wax-based timber products or paint. Any ideas? Thanks for looking. 

fatcat1955

Re: Best way to seal the wood on my shed door?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 19:17 »
3 coat's of yacht varnish.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 19:49 »
I'd go with boat varnish as well as it's the most durable. But nothing lasts forever so it'll need redoing a few years down the road.

Steveharford

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 20:00 »
I wouldn't use varnish of any sort in that situation. IMO get yourself down to the decorators supplies and get a tin of Sadolin or Sikkens. You want some thing to soak in and preserve the wood, not just put a glossy layer on top. Even cuprinol 5 in 1 would be ok. Varnish will just peel after a while and be he'll of a job making good. Trust me I'm a builder ......

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 21:59 »
Must be using the wrong varnish, my front door has 3 coat,s every 5 year's. Get's a quick sand over with wire wool then re-varnished.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 04:28 »
I used Sikkens on my house many years ago and it was absolute rubbish. Hopefully they've improved the formulation since then but I'd never waste my money again.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 07:30 »
A vote for Cuprinol - the clear one soaks right in - so no varnish layer to peel.

Stree

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 13:23 »
SteveHarford is right.
Most varnishes are hopeless outdoors. Yacht varnish is especially no good for softwood. it cannot cope with the seasonal movement and will soon craze and let moisture in, eventually flaking off, being a hard glaze type varnish.
Yacht varnish is meant for hardwoods and ply which have little or no seasonal movement.
I use the clear gel coating from Lidl, excellent price and coverage, water based, and long lasting.
 My trade is joinery.

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 39 queries.