small cauliflower heads

• 14 Replies

gypsy

small cauliflower heads
« on: July 12, 2010, 18:05 »
Hi, can anyone tell me why the heads on my cauliflower are very small this yr? Last yr they were a decent size but the year before they were small. They do not look as if there is any disease or pests on them, just very small, some only the size of a golf ball.
Catherine

goodegg

Re: small cauliflower heads
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 18:15 »
its to do with the weather bein so dry they dont make and only want to go to seed use them they will soon go past their best

gypsy

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 14:44 »
Thanks for your reply, other folks at our allotments have decent caulis, do you reckon they watered theirs more even though they do not admit to doing?

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 15:40 »
It may depend on how much compost, manure, humus etc you have in your plot that helps to hold water and if the others used any mulch.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Christine

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 20:06 »
They like water and lots of feeding I'm told. Seems to be working for me this year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 20:10 »
Can you tell us what you've been feeding them with, and how much, then Christine?
Pretty please  :D

Christine

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 20:15 »
Chicken pellets me dear with some calcified seaweed mixed in - amount as per instructions on the back of chicken pellet bucket. Put some down before planting and have done so lightly (half measure) twice in the last couple of months.

And water after feeding thoroughly to prevent scorch. And water periodically if no rain.

Combination of The Vegetable Expert book and the local gardener who happens to be good with the brassica family. Won't ask him about carrots or strawberries but he knows his brassica. Cos he wins lots of prizes with them.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 20:35 »
Thank you....I'm going to try for the first time next year and I want to get it right to proove a few people wrong!...hopefully  :lol:  :lol:

plum crumble

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 21:39 »
so.....here's my question ...second year of trying to grow caulies. Last year rubbish, as I did everything wrong.  ::) This year, protected by debris netting, beautifully firmed in , fed and watered copiously..............plants all look very robust, heads appeared 2 weeks ago and are now size of tennis balls ....QUESTION COMING NOW (keep up!): how do I know when to pick? How do I know when it has got to max head size, and when it might go over? Pretty please somebody tell me. I am so excited about them, I don't want to waste them (oh yes, and I've bent the leaves over the curds to block direct sunlight)
  :D
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 22:14 »
i was on my lotty the other day and an old boy wandered up and said to me
you done well there there ready to come up
i said are you sure cos the curd  were only the size of a grapefruit and he replied yep

so i thought * it i will have a cou[ple of days at the coast and pick and freeze when i get back

when i got back they were just on the tip of bolting so he was right and it was good advice next year i shall grow 5 time the amount so in answer to your question see if you have a good neighbour with good advice or go by your own instinct anyways good luck

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 22:35 »
I got greedy with a couple of Cauli's last year (my first), left them in the ground too long as I wanted some super, dooper, size of a football type curd. Well of course they bolted, now I err on the side of caution and dig em up when I believe they are right. All have been fine this year.

plum crumble

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 00:08 »
yes - BUT HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN IT'S TIME??????

boosh

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 16:24 »
The caulis i am growing this year can be spaced 2ft apart for big heads or 1ft apart for small heads, i did the later.
i dug the ground over in the autum and limed, come the spring about 4 weeks before planting out i put the debris netting frame up and compacted the ground down at the same time by treading all over it, i mulched the ground after planting out with manure. I water them about every 3 or 4 days. i've had one cauli so far with a few others forming heads. i planted 21. i've also done this for my cabbage, brussels and curly kale i'll put some pics on later.

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 18:42 »
i only have a middle in one of my caulis? will the others grow one now

boosh

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 16:32 »
Took 3 caulis after the picture was taken.
allotment and jons show 002 (1426 x 1069) (356 x 267).jpg
allotment and jons show 003 (1426 x 1069) (471 x 353).jpg

xx
Cauliflower heads.

Started by arh on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 04, 2017, 07:25
by arh
xx
CAULIFLOWER HEADS

Started by BARNACLE BILL on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2016, 21:49
by Tracybutton
xx
Cauliflower heads not showing

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 06, 2019, 22:51
by missmoneypenny
xx
Keeping cream Cauliflower heads!

Started by Maxine Groobey on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 06:36
by rikknikk

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 37 queries.