Fox proofing for our chickens

• 83 Replies

mothership

• www.huntersmoonsmallholding.co.uk
Re: Fox proofing for our chickens
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2011, 08:29 »
I thought I would just let people know that I have an electric fence running all the time, the snow stopped it working and as such the fox got in and took three chickens - killed then but could not get them out of the run.  I cleared the snow away, removed the carcasses and got the fence running at full tilt again, having bought a new energiser to deal with the two fences I have joined together. Then I had no trouble for about a week, then one chicken was killed.  Again, I baited the fence, and again nothing for another week.  We have had a lot of rain, and in order to get the fence to work properly, I have had to remove some of the pegs keeping it in place as when it is under water it does not work, trenches dug and pegs removed I got upwards of 6000v. in  the fence, yesterday, he took another, but could not get it out.  The fox then as I was up there putting hens to bed came back to the field.  I chased him away.

I have human hair on my fence and will put more on it today.  I bought a fox trap last week. Whilst I think they look lovely I would rather the fox was in someone else's field.
To all things there is a season

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2011, 09:10 »
remember though when caught you should get the fox disposed off properly and not released elsewhere.
Staffies are softer than you think.

mothership

• www.huntersmoonsmallholding.co.uk
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2011, 06:57 »
The fox will be shot

hillfooter

« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2011, 12:07 »
Here's a link on a trial which was carried out on the effectivenes of electric nets.  Worth a read.

I've used electric nets for around 10 years and never lost a chicken which was behind one.  They aren't foolproof but as effective a deterant as any short of total enclosure with fox proof mesh.

http://www.agrisellex.co.uk/fox-fencing-trial-3165-0.html.

Some one mentioned hanging up CDs and I've found Cliff Richard ones to be most effective no self respecting fox would go near one - boom! boom!

HF
Truth through science.

hillfooter

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2011, 12:30 »
Water is an excellent conductor of electricity. ;)

Well actually ICE this isn't so.  Pure water is almost a perfect insulator it's the impurities in it which can form an electrolyte which makes it conduct.  If pure water wasn't an insulator you wouldn't be able to top up a lead acid batery with distilled water.

When your skin is wet the salts and other impurities are wetted and reduce the insulation of your skin so making it easier to get a shock.
HF

hillfooter

« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2011, 12:47 »
I read about the fox lights devices which sounds like they might work but it's very expense and only works at night which isn't much use in my book.  Chx should be shut up at night anyway and this can be more cheaply and reliably ensured with an automatic pophole opener and closer which has other benefits too.  I'd definitely consider one in my armoury of anti fox measures.  You can have lie in and an evening out too without worrying about visiting the chx.

I use electric fences in the day time and auto openers & closers at night.  I also spray fox deterrant but that's more for my benefit really.

HF
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:19 by hillfooter »

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2011, 11:24 »
May be a bit late to add to this topic but I will anyway. I leave my crocs that I clean the chickens out in outside the hen house and when foxy comes in he comes across the shoes first so he takes them because they smell of chicken to the middle of the grass chews them for half hour without damaging them and that seems to satisfy him and he disappears job done.

hillfooter

« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2011, 12:18 »
May be a bit late to add to this topic but I will anyway. I leave my crocs that I clean the chickens out in outside the hen house and when foxy comes in he comes across the shoes first so he takes them because they smell of chicken to the middle of the grass chews them for half hour without damaging them and that seems to satisfy him and he disappears job done.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I think I'd prefer to electrify my shoes but you must win the prize for the most eccentric and bizarre tall story solution to detering foxes.   I suppose after 30 mins of chewing your  shoes he has lost his appetite and goes off to be sick in some hedgerow.  I just love the mental image of you searching the field barefooted looking for your fox slobber soaked shoes too.  Bet you are popular down the pub afterwards. :D

HF

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2011, 13:18 »
Yes it maybe a bit bizarre but it does work lol. The only time I can recall the shoes being damaged was with a young vixen probably that years cub, think she was teething, she came back night after night just to chew my shoe but at least she left the hens alone and cleaned the shoes up well.

xx
Rats and Chickens

Started by mambo on Poultry FAQs and other Information

38 Replies
Last post October 01, 2008, 12:56
by HPC
xx
On first buying chickens.

Started by Bodger on Poultry FAQs and other Information

17 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 14:10
by Aunt Sally
xx
So you are thinking about getting chickens

Started by joyfull on Poultry FAQs and other Information

0 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 21:31
by joyfull
xx
3. Digestive Infections in Chickens

Started by Aunt Sally on Poultry FAQs and other Information

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 19:32
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 40 queries.