What to feed a wormery

• 6 Replies

JCloth

What to feed a wormery
« on: August 31, 2008, 08:45 »
Hello!

I'm thinking of getting a wormery rather than using a standard compost heap (it would seem to be less work - no turning).

However, apparently worms won't eat hard stuff and so you can't put in all your garden waste in ie not branches (obviously cut up).

Surely this would rot down anyway wouldn't it, as it would in a 'normal' compost heap?

I don't really want something that doesn't do the whole job but rather like the idea of the worms.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

orfy

• Experienced Member
What to feed a wormery
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 09:07 »
A lot depends on how much waste you have.

I looked into it and it seems that even though there are only two of us because I wanted to compost more than my kitchen waste, i.e garden waste and veg tops brought home from the allotment. I was told a wormery wouldn't cope with it.

I think they are fine for normal kitchen waste but I don't think they can cope with all the garden stuff.

When I get time I really want to look into a dog poo one. (Home made)

Ropster

What to feed a wormery
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 09:10 »
I have a wormery and I feed it all om my Kitchen Scraps, Veg pealings etc. I dont think they will eat wood.
I think you need both realy as the wormery isnt going to deal with a large volume of waste like a compost bin.
Tha advantage of the worm bin is the excelent liquid feed it produces, great for feeding all manner of plants and Vegies

JCloth

What to feed a wormery
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 11:10 »
Thanks for your replies - they've helped.

I'm new to this whole gardening thing. I'm getting my vegetable patch sorted as we speak.

There are lots of dog poo related comments on the millions of sites I've looked at but as I don't have a dog I didn't note them down unfortunatly!

SalJ1980

What to feed a wormery
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 11:51 »
Yep, as Orfy and Ropster both said, a wormery will deal with your kitchen scraps but for your garden/alltoment waste you'll still need a compost heap.

Worms will eat any raw or cooked vegetable waste, tea bags, coffee grounds, egg shells etc. If you've grown it or it's come from the ground, they'll eat it. They don't like alliums though (onions, leeks, garlic etc) - some people say they will tolerate a little but mine won't touch it. They also don't like meat, fish or dairy, or citrus fruit (it's too acidic for them).

They also need 'bedding' (which they will eat as well!) which can be shredded and moistened newspaper and carboard. It's a good way of getting rid of any junk mail, old credit card bills etc!

I'm also finding that they prefer the scraps to be blended so are smaller and easier for little worms to get through. You also need to add a trowel-ful of soil so they have grit to help their digestion.
Sal

Organic...so far!

The Thin Blue Line

• Experienced Member
  • One Forking at a time please.
What to feed a wormery
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 12:12 »
i was going to say worms.....  :lol:  :lol:  :twisted:  :twisted:

peterjf

wormery
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 14:44 »
FEED WITH MASHED COOKED POTATOES

xx
wormery

Started by bradfordmale on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 19:38
by WG.
xx
wormery

Started by Tattyanne456 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 10:53
by peanut
xx
Wormery

Started by littleorchard on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 12:48
by Ropster
xx
Anyone got a wormery

Started by richy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 03, 2013, 18:13
by richy

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 28 queries.