Hen with watery discharge from eye and nasal cavities

• 3 Replies

dheath44

• Gotta love my girls
hello, we just bought our hens from my fathers friends, most are in great condition although a couple have broken toes. They all lay well but we have noticed the light sussex girls sneezing everynow and then, we couldnt see any discharge so we don't know if its linked to our white hen, for the past few days we've noticed a clear fluid coming from her eye and possibly her beak, theres quite alot so we havent been able to tell. They are still nervous around us since they never had alot of contact before although they are coming around so we dont want to try and catch her and stress her out. She still rushes out for her food in the morning and does drink. Any advice or information will be appreciated.

I swear the're trying to kill me with fear...

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Hen with watery discharge from eye and nasal cavities
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 13:43 »
Sorry you are  having problems with your new hens.

I did have a broody with a cold and took her to the vets who prescribed Baytril.  They tend to wipe their beaks a lot to get rid of any discharge so look out for that.  Hopefully a more experienced member will give you some more advice.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

dheath44

• Gotta love my girls
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 22:01 »
sorry for the late reply, i have been away visiting family, she doesnt seemed depressed or anything and always has a filthy beak no matter how much we try to clean it. She still has watery eyes especially at night but other than that she doesnt seem to have any problems, she still lays eggs and fights to get to the food before every other hen as they all do eventhough they are always overfed. We're giving her a wipe everytime we go down since she seems to like shoving mud in her beak, she doesnt seem out of sorts so we're just going to see how it plays out for now. Other than the discharge we havent seen any other problems with her. thanks for the advice :) They're all happy hens regardless of their issues, even the one with a broken toe hops around happily, unless theres treat thens she acts up on it a bit to get extra, we've tried splinting it but they make a game of removing it when we arent there.... i've had a look and since its clear and not coloured i am not too worried about the discharge, especially since no other hens have watery eyes etc. So i just assume she has something stuch up her nose causing some discomfort. I'll see what i can find for baytril, the light sussex hens sneeze (its such a cute noise!) but havent had any other symptoms. We've been checking them all regularly since we found one with an ovary hanging out and looking like she was dying, the poor girl :(. They all seem healthy no other than the previously described sneezes and tears so its starting to look better :) xx

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 18:57 »
I would definately get her checked out by a vet - it's either she does have something stuck in her nostril irritating it or more likely a respiratory infection that could spread to the rest of your flock and can prove fatal. either  way she needs to be looked at and antibiotics prescribed.

xx
Watery nasal discharge (snotty chicks).

Started by JaK on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 22:21
by JaK
xx
Coughing and discharge from beak

Started by chickadee11 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 17:32
by chickadee11
xx
Watery egg

Started by Pep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 12, 2011, 07:46
by Pep
xx
watery poo

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 23:19
by Wildeone

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 34 queries.