PLEASE HELP egg hatching probs

• 2 Replies

quackers11

PLEASE HELP egg hatching probs
« on: March 12, 2012, 15:29 »
hi i have some indian runner ducks in my incubator that are pipping but are unable to break through the egg. i had one die in the shell yesterday why is this? i have increased humidity please help

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: PLEASE HELP egg hatching probs
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 15:45 »
I'm afraid I know nothing about hatching ducks but this looks like a helpful article:

http://home.comcast.net/~out1rider/page13.html

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Re: PLEASE HELP egg hatching probs
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 19:10 »
Hi quackers11,
Sooooo sorry you are having such a hard time with your hatching :(.

I think hatching eggs is one of the hardest things to get right, and there is no real rule of thumb. I have had 3 or 4 batches of eggs all from different suppliers in my rcom suro incubator. this incubator regulates temp, humidity and turns the eggs and still have problems. I will get one batch where the chicks explode out of the eggs, even some hatching early, and another batch where the chicks just do not hatch and they were all put in at the same time  :wacko:

Ducks can be difficult, it is down to the length and shape of their beaks and size and shape of their heads, call ducks can be particularly difficult.

It always gets to the point where you wonder if you should help, and that is a very difficult decision. I usually watch for the egg pipping, if it has not gone any further after 12 hours and the chick seems quieter that is when I consider helping.

If you do decide to help you must do so very slowly, and stop as soon as you hit blood, If you do hit blood return to incubator and leave for a few hours. This does not always happen, when the chick pips that is what stimulates absorbtion of blood and yolk, so usually after 12 hours both should have been absrobed.  once the top is off egg and  membrain peeled back the chick should kick itself out, if it does not ease the eggshell back but do not pull clear straight away as the navel may still be attached to the membrain. I usually allow chick to rest for an hour or so, keeping regular checks, the go back and ease the shell totally clear.

I only do any of the above as a last resort, it can take a chick well over 24 hour to hatch, as I said it is a very hard call  :(. Also you may find a helped chick to be a bit of a weakling.

I would give you my number but I am not sure it is allowed.  :unsure:

I am on night shifts for the next 4 nights so will be on the forum, more than happy to help if I can.

xx
Worming probs, please help

Started by grinling on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 21:43
by Aunt Sally
xx
Laying probs - lash?

Started by helens-hens on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 13:43
by helens-hens
xx
Cockrel swap probs

Started by Lottieluv on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 11:36
by dizzylizzie
question
Verm-X - what exactly is it?! PLUS BREATHING PROBS need advice!!!

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 07:41
by sneezer

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 34 queries.