Asparagus

• 28 Replies

Yabba

Re: Asparagus
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 20:42 »
Yeah, I currently have a spare 4' x 11' bed ( raised bit on some concrete that'll be a shed base within a couple of years ) that I can plant seeds into, and then I can move them to a 15' x 4' bed next year.

I was hoping to get 50 seedlings in now to cull to 20 males for their permanent bed next year.

Be a lot cheaper than buying 20 male crowns next year

¥

DavidT

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 20:54 »
What if your 50 seedlings are all female?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 21:11 »
The chances of that happening being 1in 2 to the power of 50, I think Yabba is willing to take the risk!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mick thomas

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 22:01 »
Sawnee, are you saying that you want to plant asparagus at the same time you're growing pumpkins in the bed?
If so, it's not a good idea as the huge leaves of pumpkins will shade the already struggling asparagus as well as steal needed nutrition from the asparagus roots. Pumpkins are heavy feeders.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 22:04 »
This thread is almost two years old.
Cheese makes everything better.

mick thomas

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 22:18 »
perhaps it's because there are a lot of people like myself who cannot use the site to ask a new question, but have to just rely on old threads like this one to get an answer. I have a question to ask members but can't seem to find a way of initiating the question. It always asks for an  email address and a members name, and want to ask everybody. ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS IF I PLANT ASPARAGUS THAT IS MORE THAN 2 YEARS OLD WILL IT CROP BETTER/ EARLIER THAN INMATURE 1 OR 2 YEAR-OLD  PLANTS.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 22:31 »
I don't undestand your problem.  If you can post a reply to a thread you can start a new one of your own. :wacko:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 16:58 »
perhaps it's because there are a lot of people like myself who cannot use the site to ask a new question, but have to just rely on old threads like this one to get an answer. I have a question to ask members but can't seem to find a way of initiating the question. It always asks for an  email address and a members name, and want to ask everybody.

This is very odd.  We have never had anyone else mention this difficulty before and it really isn't hard to start a new thread.

You are clearly logged in because you can post this reply.  To start a new thread you just go to the relevant forum index e.g. Grow Your Ownand click New Topic - one of the buttons above and below the right hand column.

Then you simply put your topic title into the higher box, and type your question in the bigger box in the usual way.

ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS IF I PLANT ASPARAGUS THAT IS MORE THAN 2 YEARS OLD WILL IT CROP BETTER/ EARLIER THAN INMATURE 1 OR 2 YEAR-OLD  PLANTS.

Immature 1 or 2 year plants will not be ready for cropping until at least their 3rd summer. 

I don't think older asparagus transplants well at all.  Clearly, older plants will have bigger roots when they are planted out - but often do not transplant as well / need longer simply to recover from the transplanting shock, so I would give them an extra year's benefit of the doubt, but not hope for too much.

I don't think you gain much from using older plants, and it may actually backfire on you.

Finally, please could you avoid using capital letters in your posts?  It is very difficult to read and comes across as if you are 'shouting' at us.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mick thomas

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 20:30 »
Sorry about the capitals yorkie, didn't even realise I had hit the button. Only reason I asked about the more mature plants was because my elderly next door neighbour on the plots is retiring from allotments and has offered me some of his plants.Seems a shame to turn him down and as they can produce for 20 years it seemed a good idea.I will actually be able to move them with a shovel to their new plot so I expect not too much damage to the plants. I have double dug the area to be used and added a good measure of well rotted horse manure so they will in the end be getting a much better growing environment in which to live out the rest of their lives.Thanks for the info, regards Mick.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 20:47 »
I will actually be able to move them with a shovel to their new plot so I expect not too much damage to the plants.

Don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm (and I'm with you on not wanting the plants to go to waste), but I will be amazed if you manage to transplant establish Asparagus plants.

Given that they will produce for 20 years I think a better route is to buy some good quality crowns - they are about £1.50 each mailorder.

Look at it this way, if you transplant them and they don't survive you've wasted a year when new ones could be maturing, and even if you succeed I think they will still need a couple of years to re-establish before they are safe to pick (you must build up a really strong root system before you start picking any at all - otherwise you will always have nothing but a weak crop)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 20:56 »
I've had my asparagus bed for about 7 years now, and last year the cropping area of each plant (i.e. the crown) was about 18" in diameter, and the root spread about twice that; I can only guess at the depth this huge root system has reached!

Can't blame you for trying under the circumstances but I can't help agreeing that plants of this size are not going to be easy to remove without damage and may well not thank you at all for transplanting them.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mick thomas

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 11:27 »
Thanks for your comments everybody. I have decided to compromise and plant the bed in 2 halves. half with the freebie plants and the other half with some new crowns from wilkies. That way it will satisfy my curiosity as well. Lifes too short to talk in years,I live each day at a time, maybe it's my age, being old and all. regards Mick.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 11:45 »
Good plan! and I hope you have success with the mature crowns

I'll be very interested to know how it goes :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 16:55 »
That sounds like a plan, I love it when a plan comes together  :D

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
Asparagus?

Started by Annie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 28, 2007, 10:14
by Annie

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 33 queries.